Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you have a garden?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 36 Replies
  • 1024 Total Views

gardening

by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 10, 2012 at 3:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Hmm, I can think of several reasons as to why I have a garden!!  It's fun, it's a hobby I enjoy.  My children share in the experience & enjoy it as well. Even hubby enjoys watching us tend to the garden, lol.  It's exercise, it's an outdoor activity.  It grows food I don't have to buy. The food grown is healthier. I can't wait to see each morning, what happened overnight!!

TexasWife
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I always wanted to. So this year I said I will get some seeds and try it out. Now I think I may have taken more than I can chew. I am loving it though. I have so much to learn and it is super relaxing.

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this

i have a garden cuz i love growing things, i love to feel the dirt on my hands, watch the worms do their thing, its so relaxing and calming to me, just to go out and wander in the garden, i have a garden so my friends kids can go out and pick vegetable, and i love to see the looks on their faces! i have one so i can watch my cat walk around smelling all the plants, chase the bugs, i also have one so i can grow my own herbs for making my soap, cooking and medicinal reasons, its cheaper than buying vegs fruit herbs in the stores, my dh loves to look out on the back deck and see the raised beds and such with vegs, fruit in it(he gave up half of his back yard for my garden! big sacrafice) i have a garden so i can meet my neighbors, give fresh vegs/fruit away , so i can preserve for the winter months, so i can pull weeds, so i have a place i can go and sit and read  or take a nap in!

Kilhara
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a garden because it feels like home.  My grandparents had gardens, my parents have a garden, and even when I lived in an apartment I had plants.  Also, I love watching my children in the garden, and  I am able to grow varieties of veggies that you just can't find in the store (I grow from seed mostly).  Things taste better fresh from the garden.  Fresh herbs for cooking are outrageously priced in the store and close to free in my backyard.  I like to provide food and habitat for bees, butterflies and birds.  I am sure that there are more reasons as well.

Moms_Angels1960
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

It saves on the food bill, it is better for you. I enjoy watching hubby dig & pull weeds, he enjoys watching me can it.He was a farmer & really misses farming his way of helping. He & I both enjoy doing yard stuff together. It's excercise, it's time with the family even our daughter helps do things in the garden.

mikesmom65270
by master gardener on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents always had a garden and the kids were always involved too.  I couldn't imagine not having a garden, although some years I didn't.  I grow a lot of our food, so part of it is economic but I would do it anyway.  I also like having masses of flowers, like to grow plants native to my state along with the usual ones found at the nursery.  Gardening is an adult's excuse to play in the dirt!

SoCalBombshell
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Gardening is fascinating! Plants can change dramatically in a matter of HOURS and that to me, is amazing! I love knowing the vegetables I get to eat will be 100% chemical free. It saves money at the store, and if the stores suddenly disappear - I will still be able to feed my children! My children also love to participate, and I know they will enjoy eating the vegetables THEY helped grow!

kLynch315
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm new and am doing my first garden this year. Its comforting being able to grow my own food and teach my children. I am also obsessed with watching my plants grow. I never realized how calming it can be also. Gardening really helps my anxiety.
mross63
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I love growing things, I think its in my soul.  I love getting dirt under my fingernails & breaking them. Gardening is Gods therapy for us. You can releive so much stress just by being outside & pulling weeds or digging them up.  Being at one with nature is so calming and watching a hummer go from flower to flower is just so much fun. Gardening is a way for us to continue to learn from the plants.  

akbutterfly83
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the science of it.... it teaches so much to my kids.... and I love to do it as a hobby..... ans also to provide some fall time foods for us....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)