Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Martha Stewart's Garden and how much do you get out of it?

Posted by   + Show Post
Replies (21-23):
MyVavies
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Oh you need to watch the rest. He says your local counties tree trimming serves would LOVE you to take that mulch off their hands for free. You know... the ones that trim trees away from telephone wires and electric wires. They even deliver it to you for free if its on they way.

Oh.. and do you think if this would work with raised beds? Thanks.

MyVavies
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Kelly and everyone.

Did anyone try this "back to Eden approach" I am dieing to know what happened to everyone's garden this year! Does it work... did you have to do little watering and weeding? OH please do respond!!!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Quoting MyVavies:

Kelly and everyone.

Did anyone try this "back to Eden approach" I am dieing to know what happened to everyone's garden this year! Does it work... did you have to do little watering and weeding? OH please do respond!!!

I didn't try THIS approach, but I used a few techniques that are similar.  This summer was NOT the best summer for growing garden, with the drought and heat.  My garden suffered a lot from the drought, then we got 8 inches of rain in 36 hours and it did a lot of damage to my tomatoes and green beans to stand in 8 inches of water for almost a week (my ground was saturated and couldn't drain any more.)

My good friends (used the same varieties of seeds that we did) followed more of these techniques and had a bountiful harvest!

My vine crops did GREAT! 

We had an early hard frost so I didn't get any corn.

The mice got into my outdoor potato barrels and ate my potatoes.

My root crops and salad greens grew well.

My cabbage family crops didn't do well.  I think I'll direct sow them next year because transplanting set them back about a month, then it was too hot for them to do well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN