Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Martha Stewart's Garden and how much do you get out of it?

Posted by   + Show Post
Replies (11-20):
MyVavies
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM

1/3 of that size hu? So I might just need as big as half of Martha's garden? But remember, I want EVERY Fruit and Veggie in that garden that Kansas can grow!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Quoting MyVavies:

1/3 of that size hu? So I might just need as big as half of Martha's garden? But remember, I want EVERY Fruit and Veggie in that garden that Kansas can grow!

Hm.  I like how you think!  LOL

Do you have a list of things that you want to try?

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Quoting MyVavies:

I did an online search and found an interesting e-booklet you might be interested in:

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/hort2/S51.pdf

MyVavies
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

That's the other problem. I tried googleing what fruits and veggies central Kansas land can grow, but I can't get an answer. Do you know where I can find this? Either in a book or website?

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Quoting MyVavies:

That's the other problem. I tried googleing what fruits and veggies central Kansas land can grow, but I can't get an answer. Do you know where I can find this? Either in a book or website?

Most of Kansas is Zone 6, with the NW corner being Zone 5.  When you are looking through a seed & nursery site, just keep that in mind.  You can grow fruit or nut trees and just about any kind of vegetable.

Does this help:  http://localfoods.about.com/od/searchbyregion/a/kansasseasons.htm

Kelly913
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I was pointing it out for MyVavies to get some perspective.  There really are lots of variable though, aren't there?  Soil fertility can impact harvest, as can too much/too little rain, and of course weird weather occurrences. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

Did you see this comment at the link you provided?  Wow. Growing up, my family's vegetable garden was about a third that size, and it fed all six of us. Maybe she donates what she can't use? I can't see anyone doing all that work and then letting the end result rot in the ground.

I saw that.  My family when I was a child was a lot the same way.  Our garden was smaller than the one I have now, but we only ate the basic green beans, carrots, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, winter squash.  I want to try to grow everything my own family needs, so we've got a HUGE garden going this year with a very large variety:  green beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, artichokes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, melons, kale, sweet peppers, hot peppers, 3 varieties of tomatoes, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, spinach and other salad greens, pumpkins, green peas, parsnips, cucumbers, sweet corn, celery, brussels sprouts, beets, strawberries, herbs.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Contact your local county extension/ag office.  They'll have knowledge of what grows well, down to specific varieties that do better there.  Are you wanting to avoid GMO's? 

Quoting MyVavies:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

MyVavies
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Yep! I am going to have to have Martha's garden to grown 45 differentveggies and enough for 8 people all year round. Pooh... I love gardening, but like you guys said, It's a lot of hard work! Especially for a garden that size!

MyVavies
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Kelly, I just got around to watching that movie you recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOODNESS IT was sooo good!!! I love how he put it all back on God and how the bible back him up on it! I wish he was my friend so he could help me get started on gardening and being the best gardener I can be. Thank you for sharing this with us. I theory enjoyed it.

Just two questions though. What was with the newspaper for that one garden? AND Would this theory work with raised beds? Thanks.

Janine

Kelly913
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

DH & I still haven't seen it all, but we were so impressed that we bought a small wood chipper from Craigslist and DH is toying with how to do this on a large scale in our community.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think the newspaper serves a few purposes-it suffocates the weeds or grass growing below it and then decomposses into the soil and adds to its health.

We really appreciated the Biblical approach too! 

Quoting MyVavies:

Kelly, I just got around to watching that movie you recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOODNESS IT was sooo good!!! I love how he put it all back on God and how the bible back him up on it! I wish he was my friend so he could help me get started on gardening and being the best gardener I can be. Thank you for sharing this with us. I theory enjoyed it.

Just two questions though. What was with the newspaper for that one garden? AND Would this theory work with raised beds? Thanks.

Janine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)