Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trellis ideas...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 3050 Total Views

I'm beginning to think about trellis, & all that that implies, lol.  Any ideas out there?  I've googled pics etc, for ideas.  The cheaper; the better!  Planning for pole beans, cucumbers. And supports for egg plants, & green peppers. I have bamboo poles for stakes & netting for vegs to begin with.  I'm thinking I'm gonna need a higher trellis for them before the growing season ends.  Just curious as to what you use and what ideas you have! 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I am considering buying the wire fencing to run inside of my containers on all 4 sides for a trellis. it is 350 for 4 panels.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

BUMP!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I love this idea for saving space in the garden!  Do you happen to know what kind of veggie is planted under the vines?

I use chicken wire to make a fence support for tomatoes and peas.

Quoting duets:

I'm beginning to think about trellis, & all that that implies, lol.  Any ideas out there?  I've googled pics etc, for ideas.  The cheaper; the better!  Planning for pole beans, cucumbers. And supports for egg plants, & green peppers. I have bamboo poles for stakes & netting for vegs to begin with.  I'm thinking I'm gonna need a higher trellis for them before the growing season ends.  Just curious as to what you use and what ideas you have! 

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

No, I really don't know, this is a pic I found on google.  If I were to guess, I would guess..maybe lettuce, strawberries, green peppers or the likes.  Plants that don't require alot of height.  I really like this type of trellis too.  They sell 3 different sizes similar to this style @ Lowe's.  Prices ranging from $9 to like $40.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I love this idea for saving space in the garden!  Do you happen to know what kind of veggie is planted under the vines?

Quoting duets:

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The trellis's I found @ Lowe's do NOT have any chicken wire, only wood, etc.  I imagine now, after giving it some thought, the wire etc would get so hot here in triple digit heat, it would burn the plant or veggie.  Hmm, so guess I should stick with wood etc.

nosborne
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I just use wooden lattice like this, http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202297456&R=202297456

I have a 8ftx16ft raised garden, and I have the lattice on the back 8ft, and will be putting more on half of one of the sides (making a corner of lattice).  It works great, and held up well last year.

Kelly913
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

We've just used the chain link fence for vining plants to climb in the past. 

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM

"Maximizes garden space because vines create shade for lettuce or greens planted underneath."

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting duets:

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

How to build a simple cucumber trellis....

http://www.veggiegardener.com/how-to-build-simple-cucumber-trellis/

Stand The Cucumber Trellis Into The Holes and Fill With Soil

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Taken from The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible 

Something to Hang On To

"If you can't attach a trellis to the container or drive supports into the ground, & if you don't have a nearby wall to attach a trellis to, rest the container on a couple of 2 x 4s or a piece of plywood.  Attach the trellis supports to the wood base; the container weight will stabilize the whole structure."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)