Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flowers to attract hummingbirds or butterflies?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 433 Total Views

I have this little patch in the back corner of our concrete yard outside of our rental house. I'd like to put something pretty there, maybe something to attract butterflies and hummingbirds?. It is probably a 3.5 x 3.5' square with a wall on two sides, there's an old tree stump in the middle and it gets probably 75% shade during the day, there is also a big leaf ivy growing on one of the walls from the neighbors garden.

We're in Los Angeles so whatever they are would probably be best in part shade and summer heat. I'd like to have something pretty and easy growing there. I especially love those tube like flowers that hummingbirds love but I don't know if those would work. Any thoughts on what i should try in that spot? 

batCafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM
http://www.michiganbulb.com/category/s?keyword=butterfly+humingbird this will give you an idea to start with. go to any gardening store on line and type hummingbird butterfly and it will pull up things like this.

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Hummingbirds like tubular flowers such as tulips, as it accommodates their beak & makes for easier access.  Butterflies like the flatter flowers such as petunias, daisies etc, as they don't have to work so hard to get to them & need to land on flower.. before doing their thing.  Both hummingbirds & butterflies prefer specific colored flowers, Usually, red, yellow, orange & purple are their favorite colors of choice. Remember, they enjoy a cool drink of water too, so make sure some water is close by!

VeganEcoMama
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Thanks ladies! i can't wait to start looking! 

JacksMom1221
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm pretty new, but I do k.ow there is a butterfly bush that attracts butterflies. It can grow really tall so if you're planning on putting something against your house or a fence it would look really nice and bring lots of butterflies :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mross63
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Since you are in a rental you might want to try some annual vines, morning glory or cardinal flowers grow real quick!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)