Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ❀ How sweet it is~ creating a pollinating garden ❀ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 659 Total Views
3 moms liked this

Since plants that produce need pollination [some more than others], it's important to create a habitat that encourages the bees, butterflies & hummingbirds to frequent the garden!! 

Remember, a small bird bath, or water is also important as the butterflies & hummingbirds enjoy a cool drink of water & will stick around longer if you make your garden attractive to them. 

Also, different pollinators are lured by certain colored flowers.  Mostly red, yellow, & orange, & purple will do the trick!!  Hummingbirds prefer tubular flowers that will accomodate their beak, such as tullips; while others prefer the flat-er flowers, such as bees etc. 

Just some thoughts.  I found a great website that gives more detail.  Happy Gardening!!

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/flower/creating-a-pollinator-garden.htm

"About 80% of plant pollination requires the help of other living, moving creatures such as insects, birds, or bats, to transfer pollen from one plant to another."

http://www.buzzaboutbees.net/plant-pollination-process.html

by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

very true glad you posted this. also a bird feeder will keep out certain insects. with a bird house and feeder the birds will stick around and eat the insects.  especially if you put up a martin bird house.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I plan to add flowers to my veggie garden, planted right along with the other seeds.

lriggle12
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Ive been wanting to add a bird feeder or house to our garden hoping for these results.  I don't know much about birds so thank you for the martin suggestion. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

very true glad you posted this. also a bird feeder will keep out certain insects. with a bird house and feeder the birds will stick around and eat the insects.  especially if you put up a martin bird house.

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I finally picked up a small...itty bitty bird bath the other day, and also a hummingbird feeder.  Now... to get it hung.  I've put out a lot of flowers in the garden, All different colors mentioned above etc.  It makes the garden attractive to people sooo I know the birds will love it.   

TexasWife
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much.

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM

great post! i do this!

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I had 2 hummingbirds in the garden today!

oredeb
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

i love watching the hummingbirds! watching them land in the fir trees, almost like they come right up to you and talk!

Quoting duets:

I had 2 hummingbirds in the garden today!

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM

My hummingbird feeder didn't last long.....it's now history!  It seems the yellow jackets used it more thank the hummingbirds.  Since I don't care for what yellowjackets can do...& with kids etc. I took it down & put up a wind chime.  But then while I was out planting a tomato this evening, a huge bumble bee buzzed (sounding like a B2-bomber, lol) by scoping out the area.  Only in Vegas (24 hr town), do bumble bee's buzz by in the evening, lol. 

mikesmom65270
by master gardener on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Great post!  I have lots of native plants which attracts many bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.  Natives are for the most part better at attracting beneficials than cultivated varieties.  I also plant annuals with my vegies and have a bird bath. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)