Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ❀ How sweet it is~ creating a pollinating garden ❀ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Posted by   + Show Post

Since plants that produce need pollination [some more than others], it's important to create a habitat that encourages the bees, butterflies & hummingbirds to frequent the garden!! 

Remember, a small bird bath, or water is also important as the butterflies & hummingbirds enjoy a cool drink of water & will stick around longer if you make your garden attractive to them. 

Also, different pollinators are lured by certain colored flowers.  Mostly red, yellow, & orange, & purple will do the trick!!  Hummingbirds prefer tubular flowers that will accomodate their beak, such as tullips; while others prefer the flat-er flowers, such as bees etc. 

Just some thoughts.  I found a great website that gives more detail.  Happy Gardening!!

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/flower/creating-a-pollinator-garden.htm

"About 80% of plant pollination requires the help of other living, moving creatures such as insects, birds, or bats, to transfer pollen from one plant to another."

http://www.buzzaboutbees.net/plant-pollination-process.html

by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-12):
lenering
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Can we plant some seeds in th summer, or is too hot to do so?

mikesmom65270
by master gardener on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

You would still have time for zinnias, depending on where you live.  It only takes about 5 weeks from seed to bloom.  You would need to keep them very well watered and a location with morning sun and afternoon shade would help beat the heat.  I planted zinnias (in central Missouri) a few weeks ago and some are budding already.  We've had a couple of weeks with 90's and 100's, no decent rain for quite a while, but I do water at least once a day.

Quoting lenering:

Can we plant some seeds in th summer, or is too hot to do so?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)