Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making Jam

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 501 Total Views

With summer coming and all the different fruit coming in season,  I would like to get a recipe for making jam but do I have to know how to can ??  I do not can or have any special canning stuff.   Will it go bad fast ??

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

welll you will need to water bath the jams and jellies, if your gona put them on your shelf, but if you have a big flat bottomed pot w/ lid you can water bath them, doent have to be a huge pot, just so you can get an inch of water above each jar.

but if you dont you can make freezer jam, which is very easy and goes in the freezer to store

NO - COOK STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM

4 c. ripe strawberries
4 c. granulated sugar
1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
3/4 c. water

Wash and hull the berries; crush them completely, a few at a time. (Should end up with 2 cups.) In large bowl, mix together the berries and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. Combine pectin and water in saucepan. Bring to boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir hot pectin into the fruit bowl; continue stirring. Don't worry if sugar is not completely dissolved. Ladle jam into freezer containers. Put lids on immediately. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours or until set. Refrigerate for a few weeks or freeze for up to a year.

Blueberry Freezer Jam

Ingredients:

• 2 cups crushed blueberries (approximately 2 pints whole)
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 pouch (3 oz) certo liquid pectin

Directions:

1. Wash and rinse containers for jam.
  2. Wash and crush berries, one cup at a time.
  3. Place 2 cups berries in bowl and stir in 4 cups sugar.
  4. Mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  5. Stir pectin into lemon juice in different bowl.
  6. Stir pectin mixture into berry mixture. Stir constantly until all sugar is dissolved.
  7. Pour into prepared containers. Leave 1/2 inch space at top for expansion during freezing.
  8. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set.

**refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to a year**

couple of sites  http://www.preparedpantry.com/Recipes/How-to-make-strawberry-freezer-jam.htm

good preserving site   http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm#Jams

sewcrazycaren
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Follow that freezer jam recipe.  It is to die for!  a money saving hint it to look for pectin in bulk.  Once I discovered I could save a lot of money by buy the pectin in bulk the was no going back!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I make freezer jam with my strawberries and peaches and grape jam (canned) 

I just follow the directions in the pectin package.  You won't need special canning equipment since most canned jams just need water bath canning, which can be done in a large pot with a lid.

mammapav
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I just follow the directions in the pectin package.  You won't need special canning equipment since most canned jams just need water bath canning, which can be done in a large pot with a lid.

Thank you so much !!

mammapav
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Quoting sewcrazycaren:

Follow that freezer jam recipe.  It is to die for!  a money saving hint it to look for pectin in bulk.  Once I discovered I could save a lot of money by buy the pectin in bulk the was no going back!

Thanks I will look for it in bulk.

mammapav
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Quoting oredeb:

welll you will need to water bath the jams and jellies, if your gona put them on your shelf, but if you have a big flat bottomed pot w/ lid you can water bath them, doent have to be a huge pot, just so you can get an inch of water above each jar.

but if you dont you can make freezer jam, which is very easy and goes in the freezer to store

NO - COOK STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM

4 c. ripe strawberries
4 c. granulated sugar
1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
3/4 c. water

Wash and hull the berries; crush them completely, a few at a time. (Should end up with 2 cups.) In large bowl, mix together the berries and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. Combine pectin and water in saucepan. Bring to boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir hot pectin into the fruit bowl; continue stirring. Don't worry if sugar is not completely dissolved. Ladle jam into freezer containers. Put lids on immediately. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours or until set. Refrigerate for a few weeks or freeze for up to a year.

Blueberry Freezer Jam

Ingredients:

• 2 cups crushed blueberries (approximately 2 pints whole)
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 pouch (3 oz) certo liquid pectin

Directions:

1. Wash and rinse containers for jam.
  2. Wash and crush berries, one cup at a time.
  3. Place 2 cups berries in bowl and stir in 4 cups sugar.
  4. Mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  5. Stir pectin into lemon juice in different bowl.
  6. Stir pectin mixture into berry mixture. Stir constantly until all sugar is dissolved.
  7. Pour into prepared containers. Leave 1/2 inch space at top for expansion during freezing.
  8. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set.

**refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to a year**

couple of sites  http://www.preparedpantry.com/Recipes/How-to-make-strawberry-freezer-jam.htm

good preserving site   http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm#Jams

This is great !! Thank you so much !!!

evansmommy802
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Rhonda, do you have any lower sugar jam recipes? All the ones I've seen have so much in them that I'm a little put off by them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

There is a product put out, last I knew it was Ball that had it, that only used 1 1/2 c. sugar per 4 c. jam.  It came in a packet, not a box, and should be found in the canning supplies section.  It uses caragheenan as a thickening agent, if I remember right.  It's not a thick jam, more like a fresh preserves spread. 

Quoting evansmommy802:

Rhonda, do you have any lower sugar jam recipes? All the ones I've seen have so much in them that I'm a little put off by them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

DeniseHarrison
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM
thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)