Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's hear it for Lemons!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 437 Total Views

Anyone growing a lemon tree this year? If so plz share your advice. Oh, & don't forget the garlic!

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Oh, I WISH!

We had a dwarf citrus tree, with oranges, lemons, and limes.  Never did get a lemon...just a lime and an orange.

I love lemons!

mross63
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

This is my first year growing a lemon tree, I have a Bears lime tree also. Just waiting for that first glass of fresh made juice!

evansmommy802
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I actually just ordered a Meyer lemon tree...hoping to get some lemons in a year or two! Curious about others' experience with them...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM
My grandma ha an orange tree in her living room. She grew it from seed and it is now big enough to fruit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amerslynn
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM
I would love to have a lemon tree. You can grow them inside? My dd would love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

YES, lemon trees can be grown in a container for the indoors!  Here's a link which speaks of just that.

http://www.plantea.com/lemon-tree-indoor.htm

Quoting amerslynn:

I would love to have a lemon tree. You can grow them inside? My dd would love it.

oredeb
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

ohhh yummmmmmm i grew once years ago! had to keep it inside

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I picked up a Meyer Lemon Tree for the patio, this will be my first.  As long as it is kept trimmed etc it will do fine in a container.  They prefer a citric soil base & fertilizer for citric plants.  The container needs to have plenty of room to allow for root growth.  As wide as it is deep is preferred. 

**If planting in a container, remember to use "potting" soil for citrus plants opposed to regular citrus/garden soil. 

Over time, I plan to put mine in the ground; but that may take years to happen, lol.  Depending upon the type.... they can grow anywhere from 4-8 ft tall.  They also are more bushy trees.  

If ya plan to keep it inside, then you can keep it trimmed to your own taste.  It should/will still produce lemons! 

Tip: during the day, either have it by a window OR place it outside to get sunlight, to help growth. (a rolling base will help to cart it outside & in).

mross63
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I've got blossoms on mine yah!! They smell sooo good. I broke down & made my last batch of store bought juice he he....waiting......

duets
by asst. gardener on Mar. 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I found a good article about garlic for the lemon tree & why.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7991060_plant-garlic-lemon-trees.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)