Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seed tape using toilet paper

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

So its really rainy today and i'm so anxious to get my hands in the mud. We have planted our peas and going to put in some swiss chard and radish. Obviously living in Michigan I can't plant a lot of things yet but i'm really trying out planting somethings earlier.

Anyway, I'm making seed tape to plant when it stops raining (if it ever stops raining).

The great thing about seed tape is that you don't necessarily have to thin your seeds afterwards. You can use a ruler and get the spacing right ready to put into the ground. Using toilet paper, flour and water glue and a ruler you can start some tape rolls ready for when you are gardening.

Here is a link that explains it better than me,

Has anyone ever done it before? did it work well for you?

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

neat, ive never tried it

mammapav
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for sharing.

mross63
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for this I think it would really work well with  carrots & onion & lettuce seeds!

MyBelovedOnes
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Neat!  Thanks for sharing : )

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I'm going to try this technique this year using newspaper instead of toilet paper

AjCeCeMom
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM
It worked GREAT for me!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm going to try this technique this year using newspaper instead of toilet paper

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I was searching for more info and found a method that doesn't use glue or a flour paste.  Just mist the TP, lay the seeds on it, fold the TP over the seeds from each direction so it's folded in thirds, mist again, pat gently, and lay it on the soil before lightly covering with more soil.  That sounds like the paper would disintegrate faster than with newspaper!

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

It worked GREAT for me!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)