Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does Your Garden Grow?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 66 Replies
  • 1021 Total Views

A place to share & tell us how YOUR garden is growing etc. What's blooming, what's producing, what's new in your garden etc.  We will be sure & share in your joy!

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 6 little tomatoes that have just arrived and a bloom on green pepper plant!

little flower

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Hm.  My strawberry babies are in the ground, planted just before we got snow.  Nothing else is even started yet.  I'm really behind.

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

Hm.  My strawberry babies are in the ground, planted just before we got snow.  Nothing else is even started yet.  I'm really behind.

You're not behind, I just began early!  I forgot about the strawberries, since they were eaten prematurely, lol. 

FutureMrsAyers
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

So far, I have my mystery seedlings (which you ladies halped identify as a kind of bean - thank you!). 18 tiny cherry tomato seedlings. 3 cucumber & 2 zinnias that have just broken the surface.

The rest haven't broken through yet, but I have: another 3 zinnias,another 5 cucmbers, 3 unknown tomatos, 6 sweet peppers, 4 yellow onions, 4 snow peas & 2 anise. :) 

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

ohhhh i like this post! nothing funner than talking about gardens! and seeing them!

right now ive got peas, broc, kale, swiss chard, various lettuces, celery, leeks, green onions, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, strawberries, garlic growing, ive put the carrot seeds down,  heres some pictures!

these are carrots, not the whole bed, i'll put some beets in there also

this is swiss chard, kale, peas, broc, cauli, onions,

this is lettuces, leeks, onions, one volenteer brussel sprout plant, celery,

next one is nothing, couple left over lettuces, over wintered carrots, but its gona be green beans, eggplant, tomatoes, flowers,

this is garlic, a few strawberries(which will be moved)

well thats all the raised beds i got, the rest i just plant in the ground which is to muddy, cold and soppy now!

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I finally got all the tomato plants put in 25gal containers, whew.  I now have 9 little maters on one tomato plant, a few blooms on another, & 1 little mater on topsy turvy plant!!  Oh, & blooms on zucchini & buds on green pepper plant.  My green beans & cuc's also beginning to have buds on them.

Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk back ... Run!
mross63
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Well I guess I'm the only one with failures so far. I was so excited when hubby made me a raised planter with plastic netting laced to the top so that no birds could eat my strawberries well that is fine but I stuck a bunch (20or so) of green bean seeds in with them , I'm down to 1 they all shriveled up in 1 day so not sure what happened.  I tried a celery root also its toast I noticed when I was putting my straw down for mulch. Maybe it got to dry? not sure we haven't even gotten our triple degree days yet! We had some windy days this past weekend so I haven't put up my shading for the garden but I will this week.

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting mross63:

Well I guess I'm the only one with failures so far. I was so excited when hubby made me a raised planter with plastic netting laced to the top so that no birds could eat my strawberries well that is fine but I stuck a bunch (20or so) of green bean seeds in with them , I'm down to 1 they all shriveled up in 1 day so not sure what happened.  I tried a celery root also its toast I noticed when I was putting my straw down for mulch. Maybe it got to dry? not sure we haven't even gotten our triple degree days yet! We had some windy days this past weekend so I haven't put up my shading for the garden but I will this week.

There has been a lot of wind here, & yes...the wind seems to be most drying to  plants here.  I've been watering a lot here, due to that.   

oredeb
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

have you been watering, also when you planted did you water?

you didnt apply fresh manure did you before you planted?

if the sun is to hot, block it the best you can at the hottest times of the day with cardboard or something

Quoting mross63:

mross63
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Now that you mentioned it maybe the compost I used to fill that planter up with maybe wasn't aged enough & maybe burned the roots. The strawberry is doing wonderful in there!  Along with the plastic netting I also propped a towel on top to shade the afternoon sun. I read that overhead watering is a no no with both the strawberries & beans so I haven't been doing that. Trial & error I guess he he!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)