Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does Your Garden Grow?

Posted by   + Show Post

A place to share & tell us how YOUR garden is growing etc. What's blooming, what's producing, what's new in your garden etc.  We will be sure & share in your joy!

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Replies (61-66):
zinniadaisy
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My garden is doing....fair.....I have a raised bed, organic plot in a community garden and the heat has hit us bad...I have cucs and beans that are struggling, one large tomato plant, one chard, and one collard plant, and 3 bell pepper plants that are suceeding....of course, it's getting to the time here in N Tx that you can start clearing away and begin prepping for the fall garden, so I'm thinking in the next couple of weeks, I'll take out what's looking poorly, keep and tend what's succeeding and start thinking towards fall - I expect I'll plant fall seeds in mid-August which will be more chard and collards, kale, beets, lettuces, spinach

NWP
by assistant gardener on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Came home from vacation to find all my squash have fallen victem to vine borers...crap. I got two little zucs and one lemon squash before they went. Now I gotta think what I should put in those spots for the fall. I am thinking Kale.

BellaH10
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Things are finally picking up in the rainy very mild spring and first of summer in the Pacific Northwest. We are expected to remain dry and warm for at least the next 5 days, the plants are pretty happy (me too). We have been harvesting Raspberries and Strawberries, so far. The next couple of days Ill start on picking my sugar snaps. We do have lots of tomatoes that are tiny but that is a good sign. Everything else will take off in this warmth!

duets
by asst. gardener on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Out of 13 tomatoe plants....I have 7 that are still producing & looking good, the others gave in to the triple digit heat & didn't survive. I have 2 tomatoe plants (that are as tall as I am) without any blooms/tomatoes at all, maybe someday?..lol, they will produce. The tums/water is helping the BER, I have more blooms on the green peppers & 3 green peppers on the vine!  I brought the dwarf lemon tree inside for this week, as we are having triple digit heat..all this week, up to 116F.  I have covered most of my plants with cooling garden cloths to help reduce the temp directly on the plants, cause it's just too hot for man or beast  here this week, lol. Eggplants doing fine, have 1 on the vine & more on the way! .

duets
by asst. gardener on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yikes, this morning I found a HuGE tomato hornworm & a baby on one of the more pitiful looking mater plants, OMG, I put on my gloves, went & found a long weed getting tool I have, & plucked them both off (mindful NOT to touch,for fear of passing out...lol) & put them in a bucket of water & put a lid over the top of it, lol. I felt like a Ninja fighter. Ewww,, I'm so scared of bugs. I'm calling orkin as I post this, lol, jk 

ninja    on phone

Plus, now I see little black thingys ( bug poo-poo), all over the major stem of another tomato plant??? I'm going to the nursery to get something to kill whatever it is.  I've had it with these bugs eating my veggies.  Grrr 

Mission accomplished, I went to the nursery & picked up some Organic BT stuff- powder & sprinkled all maters/green peppers!  Woo-hoo, now have to respray them with water in the morning, & put more powder in containers, around each plant.  

fingers crossed   

duets
by asst. gardener on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Now that the heat is starting to cool down, around 99 etc, I have noticed I have about a dozen new blooms on my tomatoes & the eggplants/green peppers have blooms on them.  I may end up having a producing garden after all, lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)