Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should they be moved?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 357 Total Views

My kids each have a Miracle Gro Kids Mini Greenhouse, with 5 seeds in each. Right now, 2 of the greenhouses have growth. They are still very tiny, but I want to make sure they survive and thrive.

This is what they look like right now:

I've always heard that repotting plants should wait until they're at least an inch tall ... and I usually wouldn't argue that. My issue, however, is that these little trays are very shallow and only have 1/2 inch of the "special soil" at the deepest point. And I don't see 5 plants lasting very long in a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 1/2" container.

When can I / should I move them to larger pots? The instructions included with the kits didn't say anything about repotting.

Also, I've noticed that even though I removed their lids, they are still growing mold (looks to be grayish white, sparse and thin) ... I think it's due to whatever "fast growth" fertilizers are in the special soil that was included. Is this something I can fix, or do I need to get the plants/seeds out of that soil?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

well id wait till they show some true leaves, but a half an inch of soil? well ive transplanted little seedlings into bigger pots, very carefully! have the pots  prepared and ready for the little seedling, set them down gently using your finger kinda press the roots into the soil, if the roots are long poke a hole that will hold them and gently set them there. water from the bottom,  use little yougurt cups with holes in the bottom ,

sometimes i sprout my older seeds (to see if they are still sproutable) in plastic bags with wet paper towel, using no soil, then i just set them in the bigger pots with soil and they do fine.

FutureMrsAyers
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Right?! I was surprised at how little there was once we got into the planting! I'll have to try putting them carefully in little cups. I noticed that one of the cucumbers fell victim to the mold and died, and when I removed it from the tray it did have about 1/4 inch of root on it.

If all else fails, I do have some of the same plants starting in other pots, so it won't be too much loss if they die in the process - we just won't have as many veggies that way. Lol.

Quoting oredeb:

well id wait till they show some true leaves, but a half an inch of soil? well ive transplanted little seedlings into bigger pots, very carefully! have the pots  prepared and ready for the little seedling, set them down gently using your finger kinda press the roots into the soil, if the roots are long poke a hole that will hold them and gently set them there. water from the bottom,  use little yougurt cups with holes in the bottom ,

sometimes i sprout my older seeds (to see if they are still sproutable) in plastic bags with wet paper towel, using no soil, then i just set them in the bigger pots with soil and they do fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)