Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to battle environmental issues?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 380 Total Views

I've come to realize that I have too many vegetable plants in the house! No, really ... I have like 50 different plants. o_O

They are almost all still very, very small. However, I know none of them are going to stay this way. But I'm afraid to put them outside! I would love a way to keep my plants inside, not only for the decoration, but for the ease of taking care of them and to prevent bugs from getting into them. DF actually doesn't care if I leave them inside - but I would have nowhere to put them once they get bigger and really no way of providing them sunlight (they are in the windows now, since they are so small still, but I won't be able to keep them there when they get moved to larger pots).

There are a number of issues I'm trying to figure out how to deal with right now, in order to make having them outside work, and any ideas would be helpful! And any ideas on how to keep my soon-to-be-massive garden indoors would be even better!!

1) I live in the desert. It is VERY hot and VERY dry most of the year. I'm a little worried that the plants will end up being "cooked" in the sun. Not only the poor little plants, but any vegetables they produce. There is no cover from direct sunlight from 7 am to around 7 pm. We have no trees. :(

2) It is insanely windy where I live, 90% of the year. I'm afraid of injury to the plants because of this (and when I say windy, I mean 30+ mph on a regular basis, with gusts up to about 70-75 mph at times). However, I can't provide cover for them, thanks to the wind. It would have to be a greenhouse type setup in order to survive the windy days, and DF said no because we aren't at our "permanent home" yet and it would be expensive. :(

3) We have a really bad problem with burrowing rats, mice, gophers, chipmunks and ground squirrels. Not to mention very large rabbits that have been munching on my roses. DF offered to build me a planter to ward of these pests, but because of the previous mentioned issues (and the fact that a planter might keep the gophers out, but the others will just climb right in) I don't want the planter out in the yard. He won't let me have a planter on the porch, or near the house at all. We've been having problems with centipedes (big, scary ones) getting in the house lately and he is convinced it's the Oleander bushes in front of the house (they were there when we bought the house, and we're very gradually getting rid of them).

Thank you in advance! I love my plants, a little too much (I totally admit to planting too many. LOL) and I really hope to figure something out! I will be so sad if they die!

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LavenderChic
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

To bad you don't have a closed in porch or a florida room.

FutureMrsAyers
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Quoting LavenderChic:

Unfortunately, it's not an option. (Well, it is ... he just won't do it.)

LavenderChic
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quoting FutureMrsAyers:

Quoting LavenderChic:

I've had a screened in porch twice and I loved them.  I turned them into my personal jungles lol.  I miss having one now!

This is an interesting post, I will be watching it to see what others suggest.

FutureMrsAyers
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I had a screened porch as a kid. I spent almost all my time out there. Lol. I'd love to have one now, but my porch is tiny (7ft x 2 1/2 ft) and DF thinks closing it off would be ugly and a waste. =/ I suggested clear plexiglass instead of screen, but he doesn't think it'll hold up in the wind. The man has zero interest in gardening, and I'm staring to find it rather frustrating. LOL.

Quoting LavenderChic:

Quoting FutureMrsAyers:

Quoting LavenderChic:

I've had a screened in porch twice and I loved them.  I turned them into my personal jungles lol.  I miss having one now!

This is an interesting post, I will be watching it to see what others suggest.

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM

raised beds! i do raised beds inspite of the animals, use a large board for learning against it to sheild them from the worst of the sun, put down traps to catch the animals or poison

FutureMrsAyers
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I've thought about the raised beds, but I'm not sure how well it would work out here. It would be ideal, I just have my doubts.

There's places to put them where they'd be safe from wind and rodents, but they'd be at the mercy of my dogs (so they'd last about a day before being destroyed), and there's places they'd get the perfect sunlight, but would be victim to the worst of the wind (and putting up a board would block the sunlight from noon on).

Not to mention, DF has no interest in spending money on this project. So whatever I figure out, it has to be super, super cheap.

*sigh*

HONESTLY, which is worse ... Being battered 12-16 hours a day by 30+ mph winds, or only getting about 3-4 hours of AM sunshine?

The only way I'd be able to make raised beds work (which are actually a really good idea, so I thank you for that) is to choose between wind or sun.

Quoting oredeb:

raised beds! i do raised beds inspite of the animals, use a large board for learning against it to sheild them from the worst of the sun, put down traps to catch the animals or poison

mross63
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Well AM sun is best anyways from what they tell me here in Phoenix. As far as the winds go that should only strengthen the plants as you will have to harden them for a week or so anyways. It should make your plants grow thicker to help themselves. You may have to provide more stakes to help prop them up as they grow . I have to use shade for most of my stuff because of the intense heat 117 is not uncommon here with 2% humidity, I've fried alot of stuff so its a must for me to use shading of any kind. Once you start harvesting I'm sure you will change his mind about your plants & he may help out next year $ wise he he.

FutureMrsAyers
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

If you're in Phoenix, you probably have the most similar weather to what I have. We average 110-115 here (Palm Springs, CA area) thankfully without the humidity! LOL.

Quoting mross63:

Well AM sun is best anyways from what they tell me here in Phoenix. As far as the winds go that should only strengthen the plants as you will have to harden them for a week or so anyways. It should make your plants grow thicker to help themselves. You may have to provide more stakes to help prop them up as they grow . I have to use shade for most of my stuff because of the intense heat 117 is not uncommon here with 2% humidity, I've fried alot of stuff so its a must for me to use shading of any kind. Once you start harvesting I'm sure you will change his mind about your plants & he may help out next year $ wise he he.

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I use burlap sheets on or around my plants, it works great. I just clip them to the pots, poles, cages, etc.  NV here, we have the wind issue along with triple digit heat in mid summer!  The wind for the week-end is suppose to be up to 75mph!!    

ninja

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN