Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too late to start seeds indoors?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 403 Total Views
Is it? I normally just buy a few plants but we are doing a much larger garden this year. Is it too late to start seeds inside? Are there any specific plants it's too late for? If not I'm going to do a ton :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BellaH10
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What kind  of seeds do you have in mind?  I just started some of my seeds last night and others I started in Feb. I personally think it depends on your growing season and what you are planning.

norahsmommy
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM
We are in northern Indiana so that's zone 5? I have red onion, evergreen bunching onion, broccoli, kale, sunflowers, lavender, watermelon. I also have peas, bush beans, spinach, carrots, pumkin. But those I was going to start outdoors. Would it be too late to plant bell and jalapeño peppers from seed or zucchini, butternut squash and tomatoes or should I just get plants?

Quoting BellaH10:

What kind  of seeds do you have in mind?  I just started some of my seeds last night and others I started in Feb. I personally think it depends on your growing season and what you are planning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I would think that you can still start your seeds indoors.
Some of the more cold hardy plants I would sow directly outdoors and keep well watered. (Broccoli, onion, kale) 

Quoting norahsmommy:

We are in northern Indiana so that's zone 5? I have red onion, evergreen bunching onion, broccoli, kale, sunflowers, lavender, watermelon. I also have peas, bush beans, spinach, carrots, pumkin. But those I was going to start outdoors. Would it be too late to plant bell and jalapeño peppers from seed or zucchini, butternut squash and tomatoes or should I just get plants?

Quoting BellaH10:

BellaH10
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I am not super familiar with zone 5 so maybe others can chime in. But keep in mind that tomatoes and peppers usually get started 6-8 weeks before last frost date. For my area I wouldn't even bother starting those 2 this late especially since we get like 3 maybe 4 months for those heat loving producers. You could still start them if you have a nice growing season but if your area is like mine I would just buy the plants to make sure I had a harvest. But seeds are so cheap you can try and see how it works! Everything else you can just direct sow them! I rarely buy a plant due to price so I understand what you mean!! I can get a pack of seeds for a couple dollars and get 50 seeds plus. I prefer to do it that way too! Check out your local nursery you may be able to get some good deals on established plants.
AjCeCeMom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I'm in zone 5, I don't think you are too late at all. Depending on the type of peas you might be able to plant them outside already. The variety I buy you sow directly as soon as the ground is workable. They are doing really well. Bok Choi is something that can be sown directly when it still hits freezing temps too.

Plant your seeds indoors, you don't have anything to lose. if they don't do so great you can substitute with plants after last day of frost (which is end of May, if I remember correctly)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN