Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any other single moms out there?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

I have recently had a huge change in my financial Situation I now have to have a garden and can as much as possible.

I am so overwhelmed!  It isn't the canning part that bothers me.  It is maintaining a garden by myself that scares me. I go to my garden and look and the chaos scares me and I don't now where to start.

How do other people do it.  maybe some kind of a schedule?  I got a bunch of pine chips to mulch the garden with.  I thought it would cut back on weeds and watering.

Any other tips and hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Caren

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I used to be a single working mom with 2 young boys.  What I did was come home from work and eat, then spend an hour or so working in the garden.  It was actually very relaxing for me.  My boys helped with weeding (when they could be trusted to not pull the veggies) and helped me get the hose situated for watering.

You know, if you can't get every weed it won't mean you're a bad gardener and your garden won't die.  I've had years that I rummaged through some pretty tall weeds to find my bean plants.

I tried to do my freezing during the week because it took very little time, and saved the canning for the weekends.  My boys helped pick veggies, shell peas, snap beans, etc.  They were pretty good helpers when I was filling canning jars, too.

sewcrazycaren
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I used to love canning.  But my husband was the gardener.  I used to tel my kids Daddy grows it  Mommy cans it and you eat it!

I figured I would make jam up to give as gifts for christmas and bdays and such.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM

What do you have growing in your garden?

sewcrazycaren
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Raspberrries right now.  How about you?  I Just rototilled it today.  The farmers are planting corn so maybe I could put in some sweet corn  I might have to tae more time and thin about it

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I only have strawberries growing outside at the moment, along with apple and cherry trees and grapevines.  I started tomatoes, peppers (sweet & hot), celery, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and three kinds of melons inside the house two weeks ago.  I've got PLENTY more seeds to plant right in the ground once it warms up.

sewcrazycaren
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Holy cow!  How big of a garden do you plant and what do you do with it all?

I was hoping to can enough to help  my brother out too.  what do you do with the cabbage?

KRIZZ25
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:08 AM

it a every day thing.. my dad use to garden a lot but he hurt his leg so he cant. so he got some big pot and us ethes e.makes it easeer ..and u can control the weeds better.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Quoting sewcrazycaren:

Holy cow!  How big of a garden do you plant and what do you do with it all?

I was hoping to can enough to help  my brother out too.  what do you do with the cabbage?

Right now I have two garden spots:  35' x 40', and a 20' x 30' (I get 1/2, the kids plant 1/2.)  I also have two strawberry beds that are 2 1/2' x 40'. I make the best use of the space by planting in beds rather than rows.  We'll also be planting potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions in containers.  I hope to keep salad greens growing year round.

I can, freeze, and dehydrate whatever I can harvest:  green beans, beets, carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, kale, melon chunks, strawberry jam, applesauce and apple butter, cherries, herbs, pumpkin, bit of sweet corn, peas, relishes, zucchini pineapple, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa.

sewcrazycaren
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

What kind of seeds do you have?

BellaH10
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I'm not a single mother but I try to do a little bit each day. Do you have friends that like to garden? INvite them over and share some of the space maybe? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)