Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question...

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 349 Total Views

I have 2 very small (about 5 inch hight) tomato plants growing in a largish pot on my back patio. It rained pretty hard last night and now they are not standing up any more, they are all bent over. Will they stand back up on their own after a bit? or do I need to put a couple stick in there and tie them upright?

Also will they do ok 2 plants in 1 pot or is it best to seperate them into different pots? I don't have a place where I can plant them in the ground so they have to be in a pot or pots.

I just don't know what to do with them, I've never grown food before and thought I would try because we use a lot of tomatos and I thought this would be cool for me and the kids to grow our own.

by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Go ahead and gently pull their leaves out of the dirt.  They should straighten back up.  They'll also do fine with 2 to a pot.  It's a heavy draw on the soil, so you will probably want to feed them a little extra.

donnadea
by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

so so you think they will perk back up. I'm afraid they will just die cuz they got so drowned but I guess if they were in the ground they would have gotten pretty drowned anyway.

I never tried this before so I'm all worried about my little tomato plants lol

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Quoting donnadea:

so so you think they will perk back up. I'm afraid they will just die cuz they got so drowned but I guess if they were in the ground they would have gotten pretty drowned anyway.

I never tried this before so I'm all worried about my little tomato plants lol

I assume the pots have good drainage?

Yeah, tomato plants are pretty hardy.  I've had some that I wonder how in the world they made it, but they do.

donnadea
by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

yes the pot has holes in the bottom so it can drain.

I'm glad to hear that tomato plants are hardy. I guess I made a good choice for our first attempt at growing veggies.  I would love to be able to have a garden in the ground and grow other veggies too but its not possible here. We live in a low income housing unit and they are very picky about the lawn maintenance and digging or planting things. They said you can keep 3-5 pots on your patio if you want to grow flowers or food but thats it.

I also would like to know about herbs. If I was going to plant some herbs in a window box what are the best ones for growing indoors in a semi sunny window? are there any herbs that I should avoid planting together?

I love fresh herbs but they are so expensive to buy at the store and really how fresh are they if they've been sitting in a store for a few days?

duets
by asst. gardener on May. 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Parsley & chives grow well in a semi-sunny area.  They are easy to grow from seeds & usually do well. 

Also if you hang a topsy turvy, does that count as one of the 5 pots allowed on the patio?  Just wondering, they work good for cherry tomatoes, & a hanging planter would give you more room on the actual patio.

mikesmom65270
by master gardener on May. 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

They will stand up on their own although I would lift the leaves up and maybe lightly rinse some of the dirt off.  Two plants should be okay in one pot, although it does depend on how big the pot is.  The more room you can give a plant the better.  Also a regular feeding will help because of the limited amount of food source for the plants.  If you can only have 3-5 pots on your patio, I'd go with the biggest you can afford and that will fit on your patio.  5-gallon buckets with big holes (1" or so) work very well and you might be able to find a free source for those.

TateTwo
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I have the topsy turvy planters (we have an apt patio but it's really small).  We put them on a cheap pully system so I can keep them high for sun and rain but pull them down to water them and trim them up.  I have basil, chives, strawberries, peppers, and a tomato plant in them.  Here's our patio pulley system: 

http://tatetwo.blogspot.com/2012/05/patio-pulley-system.html

oredeb
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM

great idea tatetwo!!!!

Quoting TateTwo:

I have the topsy turvy planters (we have an apt patio but it's really small).  We put them on a cheap pully system so I can keep them high for sun and rain but pull them down to water them and trim them up.  I have basil, chives, strawberries, peppers, and a tomato plant in them.  Here's our patio pulley system: 

TateTwo
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thank you! It was my husband's idea but, being the good wife I am, I took the credit :)

Quoting oredeb:

great idea tatetwo!!!!

Quoting TateTwo:

donnadea
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM

cool, thank you for all the great ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)