Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie! Where to start?

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 364 Total Views

I've been considering starting a veggie/fruit garden for awhile and am so happy to have found this group! My husband is the gardener of the family lol, but only does flowers. I live in Ontario, Canada so our summers get pretty hot (80's and 90's usually) during the day and cool at night.  I was wondering if I could plant indoors as I'm not sure I have a good area outdoors as DH has used the garden space already and I would worry of our dogs and cats around getting into it elsewhere. I was thinking of maybe beans, cucumbers, strawberries, squash....Any advice is welcomed!

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NWP
by assistant gardener on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I am in the Southeastern USA, so I am not sure what I do translates so well....but it is pretty easy to start. I suggest just starting small at first, a few things..some in, some out, some in the ground and a few containers..see what works for you.

When I first started, it took about 2-3 years before I felt competent:)

You can grow herbs in a pot indoors. Those are good because you can use them year round. I use basil, flat leaf and curly parsley, sage, oregano and thyme...taragon when I can find it.

You live in a cool area so I would suggest carrots. They sweeten up when it is cool out and do well in a bit of a frost. Yummy! Other root veggies might be good to try too.

Kale, chard, lettuce all do well with cool nights and are fast growers.  Many are pretty put along with the flowers in your beds.

Juliets1
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

That's great! Thank you so much!

oredeb
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

how bout raised beds?

Juliets1
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM

DH was talking about doing something like that actually....Maybe I could get in on it. lol.

mross63
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

The big box stores are all carrying the kits for raised beds some more priceyer than others, also you could try looking for some vege or herb kits I know HD and Walmart sell small herb ones 3 packs of seeds & the pot & soil fairly cheap. If you want to go big they have those indoor grow things for $$ that you can grow in all year, one of those is onn my wish list he, he.

NWP
by assistant gardener on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM

A box of wooden stakes, and two 8ft long untreated 2x4s are a fraction of the cost of a commercial raised bed...Just cut one of the 2x4's in half, hammer the wooden stakes in the ground and nail the 2x4's to them and you have a 4ftx8ft raised bed for about $8

Quoting mross63:

The big box stores are all carrying the kits for raised beds some more priceyer than others, also you could try looking for some vege or herb kits I know HD and Walmart sell small herb ones 3 packs of seeds & the pot & soil fairly cheap. If you want to go big they have those indoor grow things for $$ that you can grow in all year, one of those is onn my wish list he, he.

National Woman's Party

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)