Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A flower gardening question....

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 291 Total Views
my moms hydrangea plant had a million blooms and now are all brown and the weight of them is breaking the branches....or least bending most of them...

She wants to cut them back..is this time of year ok? She is worried it will prevent future blooms next year....she is in the Washington dc area as far as the weather goes...

Any suggestions? I told her I would ask my experts on cafe mom!

Thx
Work at home on your own time - no selling and no quotas! Please contact me for more information.
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
NWP
by assistant gardener on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I don't really know..but I think it would be fine to dead head the plant. I think this because I always picked our hydrangeas for arrangements and drying..each year they would come back with more blooms. Anyone know different?

BellaH10
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

In my experience with Hydrangeas once the blooms have turned brown you can deadhead them anytime. It won't really affect the next year's blooms since you are just cutting off the portion of the bloom that is dead. However if you want to prune the Hydrangea you need to do it pretty much now (which really isn't necessary unless you are wanting a more compact Hydrangea). So deadheading fine anytime, pruning not really necessary but around June. My mother-in-law usually comes and finishes deadheading my hydrangeas on the 4th of July..lol My son usually deadhead's them anything he gets in the mood to pick at things. Doesn't affect it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)