Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get rid of worms?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 434 Total Views

Hi! I'm new and I've got a small vegitable garden that has 4 tomato plants and 5 squash plants. The plants are SUPER healthy and huge, but my problem is my squash has been RIDDLED with WORMS!

I just picked a squash off of one of my plants, and there's like fifteen worms burrowing around in it! We started the garden to try and bring our grocery bill down, but these worms are going to ruin it! Help, please!

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
duets
by asst. gardener on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Ugh, the worms are aka  vine borer that can do real damage to both summer  squash & pumpkins.  *I copied this info from another site, hope it helps.

"Ahhhh....the dreaded squash vine borers. We have been fighting those little buggers for years and there are a few things you can do.
One of the first things you can do is watch for the little moths that lay the eggs that produce the vine borer.
Here in Iowa you will find the moth's for about a 2 week period in early June buzzing like little wasps around our pumpkin patch. Usually they appear in the morning or late afternoon and the little orange moths will land on leaves and will sit for a while giving you time to spray it with flying bug spray.
Once you have seen moths and it is inevitable that they will get some eggs layed....wait about 2 weeks and spray your garden with "Seven" bug spray concentrate around bases of your squash. Otherwise you can get powder form of Seven that you can sprinkle around your squash plants. Saturate the area around the stems with the Seven and keep your eyes peeled for vine borere activity.Sometimes you can find the baby borers around base of your plants or find the early small holes. You can literally cut them out of plant when they are smaller and your plant may be okay.
If you wait and let the borer keep eating it will keep growing and eventually kill the plant...as you found out.
If you do cut into your vine...use a very sharp little kitchen knife and gently slice into hole.....
..remove the borer....smash the little borer or drop it in water and then take top soil and cover vine up past the incision and water really good. Keep the vine covered up for a least a week.
Keep an eye on vine or squash plant...if it doesnt make it ....cut it off and remove it from dying off and possibly getting diseased.

I have done lots of research on ways to deter vine borers. Seen methods from old time gardeners saying to plant a onion bulb with each pumpkin/squash mound....tried it -did not work.
One said to plant radishes at plant base- tried it-did not work.
Another method is to wrap tin foil around base of each pumpkin or squash plant.
We have over 1500 hills of pumpkins and squash....that idea is not feasible...but for small gardeners its something to consider after you see the moth come around."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)