Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caterpillars everywhere.....

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 499 Total Views

Dont get me wrong, I love caterpillars. They are of course eating EVERYTHING.

I have a passionfruit vine that is nothing but stalk due to the balck and orange caterpillar dining.

My husband is threatening to spray chemicals...

Do you all have a non-chemical solution? Something I can use to prevent them from eating some of my plants?

Thanks!

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

BT is a bacteria, not a chemical, and it's VERY effective in killing caterpillars.  It only works in the caterpillar's digestive tract (from what I'm told) and it will not affect birds or other animals that eat caterpillars.

Caterpillars have to crawl up the stalk.  Wrap the stalk with aluminum foil and stake the vine so that the stalk would be the only way for it to get up the plant.

duets
by asst. gardener on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Dito- the Bt & the aluminum foil worked for me. 

TheMomFairy
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Thanks! I'll try the aluminum foil first and see what happens. Then will look for the BT.

Appreciate the help!

duets
by asst. gardener on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I bought 7-Dust in powder form, from the nursery, it has Bt & worked just fine, to get rid of those pesky critters.  .... Just make sure to follow the inst.  the nursery worker had me put in on leaves etc in the evening, then spray it off plants the next morning, while applying more around the base of the plants.

Quoting TheMomFairy:

Thanks! I'll try the aluminum foil first and see what happens. Then will look for the BT.

Appreciate the help!

momma-flynn
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM
7-dust did not work for me. The caterpillars keep coming back & eating everything.

Quoting duets:

I bought 7-Dust in powder form, from the nursery, it has Bt & worked just fine, to get rid of those pesky critters.  .... Just make sure to follow the inst.  the nursery worker had me put in on leaves etc in the evening, then spray it off plants the next morning, while applying more around the base of the plants.

Quoting TheMomFairy:

Appreciate the help!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
duets
by asst. gardener on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Oh......hmm, today I found a tomato horn-worm on my green pepper plant, yikes....I had not wrapped the base of plant with aluminum foil.  Is the caterpillar green?  I made a new post in "Don't bug me" thread, check it out for info about the horn-worm (if that is what it is- these varmints-ugh, can devastate a garden in no time).  Hope this helps!....see reply #10

http://www.cafemom.com/group/41419/forums/read/16185589/Dont_BUG_Me_bug_talk

Quoting momma-flynn:

7-dust did not work for me. The caterpillars keep coming back & eating everything.

Quoting duets:

Quoting TheMomFairy:

Appreciate the help!

momma-flynn
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Thanks. I have found one horn worm out there.

Quoting duets:

Oh......hmm, today I found a tomato horn-worm on my green pepper plant, yikes....I had not wrapped the base of plant with aluminum foil.  Is the caterpillar green?  I made a new post in "Don't bug me" thread, check it out for info about the horn-worm (if that is what it is- these varmints-ugh, can devastate a garden in no time).  Hope this helps!....see reply #10

http://www.cafemom.com/group/41419/forums/read/16185589/Dont_BUG_Me_bug_talk

Quoting momma-flynn:

Quoting duets:

Quoting TheMomFairy:

Appreciate the help!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMomFairy
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yes, I get horne worms too, ususally on my tomatoes. I use Neem Oil to prevent them.

The aluminum foil may be working... I will give it another week to see. The particular catepillar bothing my passion fruit vine is spiny and orange and black colored.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN