Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh. Poor harvest and saving seeds question

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 142 Total Views

Like probably most of the rest of you, I've been fighting heat, drought, and now heavy rains.  Between those three things, my garden's production has not been good.

This morning I picked a Roma tomato...small but it's the first ripe one I have!  I brought it in to try it, and IT'S SOUR/TART/YUCK! No tomato flavor at all.

Now, I used heirloom seeds so that I could save seeds for next year's garden, but would you keep the seeds from that tomato?

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
duets
by asst. gardener on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:55 AM

No, I would not save that heirloom seed, since you already know the taste, for whatever reason....isn't up to par.  I wouldn't advise investing the time to give it another try, but that's just me.    I found 1 article speaking of a garden tomato tasting tart or sour, ...but it says, it can happen if tomato is picked too early..   

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/harvest.html

(first paragraph)

(or maybe the heirloom seeds were a bad batch?) Where did you get them?

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Aug. 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Quoting duets:

No, I would not save that heirloom seed, since you already know the taste, for whatever reason....isn't up to par.  I wouldn't advise investing the time to give it another try, but that's just me.    I found 1 article speaking of a garden tomato tasting tart or sour, ...but it says, it can happen if tomato is picked too early..   

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/harvest.html

(first paragraph)

(or maybe the heirloom seeds were a bad batch?) Where did you get them?

Thanks!  I bet I just picked it too early.  I was anxious to see ANY kind of harvest from my tomatoes.  I've got more out there so I'll just let them go until they're practically falling off the vines.

I don't think it was the seeds.  A good friend of mine ordered seeds right along with me and we split the seeds to save shipping costs.  Her garden turned out quite differently from mine (she's got different type of soil and used a few different amendments than I did.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)