Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My potato bag experiment was a big FAIL!

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 385 Total Views

Not one potato out of six large bags. Not even a little one. The plants grew like crazy...and fast! Then they just.....died.....

I admit, I did not try a variety of fillers, as my research said you can use about anything. I used hay and leaves. 

I'm not giving up yet. Next year I will try soil. If any of you have done this successfully, what tips can you give.?

New World Peace

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ametrine
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Could you link whatever previous thread you posted about this on here so I can catch up?  I'd love to know if you were storing potatoes or growing them in the bags, or what...

duets
by asst. gardener on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I filled the bag with dirt, about 6 or so inches, then as the plants grew...I added straw.  (Remember, plant buds pointed UP)  My taters did well & tasted great, I grew them in a tater bag from Lowe's for about $8. 

NWP
by assistant gardener on Oct. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I did put soil in the bottom of the bags..but the plants grew too fast IMO. I plan to try again in the spring. No giving up here.

Quoting duets:

I filled the bag with dirt, about 6 or so inches, then as the plants grew...I added straw.  (Remember, plant buds pointed UP)  My taters did well & tasted great, I grew them in a tater bag from Lowe's for about $8. 

New World Peace

PrincessinAZ76
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Oh, no! What a bummer!!! Do you think you might have had wacky weather affecting them?
NWP
by assistant gardener on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:36 AM

No. I was using yard waste as a filler instead of straw or soil and it was holding too much moisture. I should have varied my filler because it was an experiment, but I was being lazy and cheap...which is how I usually farm things. But it has worked for me most of the time, LOL.

Next year, some with just soil, some with soil and straw! I am also considering adding a few boxes amongst the bags.

Quoting PrincessinAZ76:

Oh, no! What a bummer!!! Do you think you might have had wacky weather affecting them?

New World Peace

PrincessinAZ76
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting NWP:

There's nothing wrong with cheap and lazy. And there's certainly nothing wrong with experimenting!!! That's what I call my gardening experience... an experiment!! Just sad for you that it took all season to realize it didn't work.

With my experiments, I'm learning to take notes. I write things down as to what works, what didn't and what to try next season. I have my own list going... it's a bit long too! Hahaha!
NWP
by assistant gardener on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL. I say cheap and lazy, but it is really just cheap. I spend a lot of time working on it and if I can make things grow with stuff I find or already have, then I do not see the experiment as time lost. I just found a bunch of wooden produce crates that the local grocery had discarded by the dumpster. I lined them with some landscaping fabric and filled them with topsoil for raised bed and planted all kinds of winter greens in them. They are doing great and it only cost me about $10 in topsoil.

Yes, notes are good. For the first three years I gardened, I kept a very detailed journal. Now I don't feel I need it as much.

BellaH10
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I have a post up about my potato boxes (from last year). I have done it yearly and get tons of potatoes.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I did soil in  a pot. I was container gardening and got one tiny potatoe it was so cute. but soil in a trash can would definately work. My pot was to small. just tried it to see what happened. I also interplanted with them. I see no one mentioned it butyou plant them in shallow dirt and when they get taller add more dirt and keep going. repeat the last sentence over and over.

TeaHound
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I heard about a way to grow a bumper crop of potatoes about 20 years ago. You've probably already heard of it (maybe even tried it), but JIC: put dirt, potting soil, etc in an old tire and plant about 3 plants or "eyes". Set another tire on top, empty When they grow to a few inches above the top of the empty tire, fill it with.dirt or whatever and set another tire on top. Keep going until you run out of tires, growing season, or personal height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)