Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP MY VEGGIES ARE CONFUSED

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 143 Total Views

ok so I moved with my plants which were container gardened. they didn't do much over spring most I thought died out.  then the drought in okla didn't help much. now all of my plants think its  spring. they are all coming up. cold weather , warm weather and everything else. and we are supposed to get a freeze friday. since the last 2 weeks it has rained alot they seem to think it is spring. I have roses blooming on the rose bushes that were here when we moved in.and all of my veggies coming up. so how do I tend to them with the freeze coming in???????

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Can you cover them?

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Can you cover them?

yeah with what plastic? and I don't know if they are cold or warm veggies. I had both planted. I knew what was where at the apartment but they gotmoved to a friends house, then with us to the motel and to another house and we had to move out of that house so I forgot what is where. I am suprised they even survived to be honest

Lindsi19
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I would put them all close together and make a makeshift frame around them (ice used pieces of scrap wood, tomato cages, etc) and put blankets or sheets over them over night if you're expecting a freeze. Just make sure the material is not touching any of the plants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Quoting Lindsi19:

I would put them all close together and make a makeshift frame around them (ice used pieces of scrap wood, tomato cages, etc) and put blankets or sheets over them over night if you're expecting a freeze. Just make sure the material is not touching any of the plants.

thanks

PrincessinAZ76
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Sheets at night are my first suggestion. That's what I'm using on my cherry tomatoes... to my surprise, they're even still ripening!

I was going to suggest for an easy and more permanent solution get a cold frame from HD or Lowe's, but I just looked at the prices. I'm shocked!!! They're $120-150! They're only 25-40 Euro, which converts to around $40.

If you have a little bit of time, you could do an easy tunnel cold frame. Just pvc pipe and sheets or plastic. There are tons of videos on Youtube of different ways people have made them.

Good luck!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)