Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bought me some fruit vines.

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 158 Total Views

2 grapes and a blue berry. they were out of blackberry and strawberries. I know the grapes are vining are the blueberries also vining? I also got me 2 sweet potatoe vines. I figured since they were already growing and rooted I might get fruits next year. do I want to plant them on the west, east or south side? I don't have a complete fence on the north that is why I am not asking about the north.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Grapes take 4 to 5 years to produce any fruit, and they HAVE to be supported.  They won't produce if allowed to grow along the ground.  Depending on the variety, they're pretty hardy.  Ours get complete sun.

Blueberries are shrubs.  They need acidic soil and can handle partial shade.

Sweet potato vines don't produce fruit; they're harvested by you digging up the roots of the plant (tubers).  Sweet potatoes are a tropical plant and LOVE heat, so keep them warm /mulched/sheltered and in the sun. 

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Grapes take 4 to 5 years to produce any fruit, and they HAVE to be supported.  They won't produce if allowed to grow along the ground.  Depending on the variety, they're pretty hardy.  Ours get complete sun.

Sweet potato vines don't produce fruit; they're harvested by you digging up the roots of the plant (tubers).  Sweet potatoes are a tropical plant and LOVE heat, so keep them warm /mulched/sheltered and in the sun. 

can you tell by looking at the grapes the age of them? that helps a lot. can I just plant the blueberries in a big pot? so I need to do my sweet potatoes on the south side????? I have lots of fence for my grapes to grow up. so that isn't a problem.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

can you tell by looking at the grapes the age of them? that helps a lot. can I just plant the blueberries in a big pot? so I need to do my sweet potatoes on the south side????? I have lots of fence for my grapes to grow up. so that isn't a problem.

I can't tell the age of grapes by looking at them.  The nursery or whoever you bought them from should have been able to tell you.

Blueberries can be planted in a pot.  It may stunt their growth a bit if they're not a patio blueberry variety, but I've never had luck with blueberries so I'm not really an expert on them.

Sweet potatoes love sun and heat.  The south side should be ideal for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN