Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pumpkin question

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 138 Total Views

My parents bought a few beautiful pumpkins (French Heirloom) & I have them now. I was hoping to plant them, but I know you are supposed to plant them in the spring time. So do I need to cut them open & remove the seeds until then?  

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
acrylicmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

you know-- i was wondering this too.  we actually broke ours open and found that some of the seeds inside were sprouting already so we made a lil punkin patch outback with the kids this weekend.  we know they probably wont survive but we save the rest for later.... i would like to know this as well

momma-flynn
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I'm kind of tempted to just take the whole pumpkins & just place them somewhere out of the way & just see what happens. We have mild winters (Houston) so I'm not terribly worried about a freeze killing it.  

Quoting acrylicmom:

you know-- i was wondering this too.  we actually broke ours open and found that some of the seeds inside were sprouting already so we made a lil punkin patch outback with the kids this weekend.  we know they probably wont survive but we save the rest for later.... i would like to know this as well

acrylicmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

We are in SA so same thing :)  but we gutted all of them and saved the seeds.  i don't know if should let them dry out either-- we just bagged them and some were still wet.

Quoting momma-flynn:

I'm kind of tempted to just take the whole pumpkins & just place them somewhere out of the way & just see what happens. We have mild winters (Houston) so I'm not terribly worried about a freeze killing it.  

Quoting acrylicmom:

Ell564
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM
With most seeds you can lay them out on a flash card paper for few days or a paper plate. Then when theyare dry you can place in an envelope and label for next year. I have had good luck with this method of saving seeds. Seeds are always dry when you buy them so i think they should prob be dry when put away.
Also ifyouwant pumpkins for fall youshould plant in late june for the southern states. The local pumpkin farmers daughter taught me that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)