Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

will you be planting something new that you haven't tried before?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Replies (11-16):
duets
by asst. gardener on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Yes, when the temp drops to freezing....I put my dwarf lemon tree inside.  Strawberries go in the garage during the frigid nights.  We rarely get below freezing here during the day. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lindsi19:

My dad got me a papaya plant for Christmas so that will be added to my growing collection of potted fruit. I have been wanting to plant some blueberries so hopefully I will get around to that this year. I also really want to try asparagus.

Are the potted fruit plants kept indoors?

duets
by asst. gardener on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

It is, just keep plenty of straw or dirt around for use once they begin to spring up.  You will never want to eat another store bought potato, ever, lol.  I used a potatoe bag last summer; but if not planning to plant inground, you can also use a burlap bag, or even a garbage bag to grow them in. Good luck!!

Quoting JasNmicahsMommy:

Potatoes. I haven't tried them yet but heard its fairly easy.

Ell564
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Thank you.  I will try that

duets
by asst. gardener on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

You're very welcome!  Another thing, garlic.  Put garlic about 2-4 around the base. 

posted last year:

"I picked up a Meyer Lemon Tree for the patio, this will be my first. As long as it is kept trimmed etc it will do fine in a container. They prefer a citric soil base & fertilizer for citric plants. The container needs to have plenty of room to allow for root growth. As wide as it is deep is preferred.

**If planting in a container, remember to use "potting" soil for citrus plants opposed to regular citrus/garden soil.

Over time, I plan to put mine in the ground; but that may take years to happen, lol. Depending upon the type.... they can grow anywhere from 4-8 ft tall. They also are more bushy trees.

If ya plan to keep it inside, then you can keep it trimmed to your own taste. It should/will still produce lemons!

Tip: during the day, either have it by a window OR place it outside to get sunlight, to help growth. (a rolling base will help to cart it outside & in).

"I found a good article about garlic for the lemon tree & why."

http://www.ehow.com/info_7991060_plant-garlic-lemon-trees.html

"

"When planted by the base of lemon trees, garlic can help repel insects such as snails, aphids, moths and deer. Also, garlic has the natural fungicide sulfur that lemon trees will absorb through the roots, preventing disease such as mildew. When planting garlic by lemon trees that are already...."

Read more: How to Plant Garlic Next to Lemon Trees | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/121880-plant-garlic-next-lemon-trees.html#ixzz1qpzXdgGV

Welcome, it's companion gardening, which does both plants good. Good luck on your citrus tree(s)!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/41419/forums/read/16229597/Lets_hear_it_for_Lemons?next=11#replies

Quoting Ell564:

Thank you.  I will try that

Ell564
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Great tip.  Thank you very much.  I love ideas like this.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Hey, I know you!

I've got peas growing outside. Doesn't look like the rain and cold killed them this week. And spinach. I think maybe lettuce is trying to grow but not sure of that. I've never really grown any of these things, so we'll see what happens. I'd love to grow a lot more this spring though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)