Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should i know about...

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 134 Total Views

Starting/ growing/planting Heirloom / Heritage seeds?

I ask because I'm wanting to do the bulk of my veggie gardening this year with some heirloom veggies.

Is it basically the same as comercial seeds? or is there a trick to them?

I was think for SURE to get some heirloom tomatoes.. then maybe peppers and beans

And I'm also wanting a good herb garden as well this year.

Thoughts?

Candice - Mom to  Miss K, Miss E and Little Mr. M! We are Canadian!

Working on baby #4!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM

They all grow the same.  The advantage to heirlooms is the excellent flavor that hasn't been diluted and the fact that you can save seeds.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I saw your other post in Country Moms .. what company do you use?

I am in Canada though so that might be an issue with shipping if getting from the states

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I saw your other post in Country Moms .. what company do you use?

I am in Canada though so that might be an issue with shipping if getting from the states

I use heirloomacresseeds.com.  They don't have a catalog...everything is done online...but it helps keep their costs down.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I'm just realizing how much more expensive heirloom seeds are... wow. I looked at this site (since it's in my own province)

SaltspringSeeds  And thier seed packets are $3.50 each (m not sure how many seeds come in the packets.. i don't think it says) so i went to see about shiping.. $8.00 in shipping!!! 1 packet would cost me over $10 to get it here... wow.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

The place I listed above has seeds for 95ยข/pkt for many of them.  I'm not sure what shipping would be, but it was very reasonable within the USA.

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I'm just realizing how much more expensive heirloom seeds are... wow. I looked at this site (since it's in my own province)

SaltspringSeeds  And thier seed packets are $3.50 each (m not sure how many seeds come in the packets.. i don't think it says) so i went to see about shiping.. $8.00 in shipping!!! 1 packet would cost me over $10 to get it here... wow.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

looking up shipping costs right now

thanks hun!

MyIslandGirls
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I can't find anything on that site about international shipping... I'm guess that they don't do it.  bummer.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

They are REALLY good about answering questions.  Go ahead and contact them through the "contact us" link on their page.

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I can't find anything on that site about international shipping... I'm guess that they don't do it.  bummer.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I just emailed them...  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN