Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I love this idea for container gardening piog

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:58 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 132 Total Views

Pinned Image

I want to do all food in it. I want to do foods the will blend well. ex chives, basil, cherry tomatoes etc. what foods would you do and in which pot would you put it? and how many high would you go and why?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Stacie03
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM
That's really cute!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Cherry tomatoes vine out, so I'd put those in one of the top containers big enough to hold their roots without being too rootbound, and let them cascade down.  Chives grow tall...put those in one of the lower containers, but not in front because they would block the view of the pots.  Basil is a pretty bright green ornamental plant and they only get as tall as you let them....they can go pretty much anywhere.  Get a dwarf parsley variety and plant that in any pot.  Dill is another that is fragrant and pretty...but it's tall so I'd plant in the bottom pot along the side.  I never had luck with oregano so I can't help you there.  Cilantro is a pretty herb plant, and I think you can keep it trimmed, so that one could go in just about any pot.  Spinach can get tall, but you may be able to find a dwarf variety.  How about some oakleaf (red and green) salad greens?  or arugula?  Dwarf carrots would look pretty in there, too!

I'd go as tall with the pots as could be supported.  In other words, I would want a stake through the middle of each pot from the very top pot through to the bottom.  Remember, too, that watering can be a little tricky because the water will soak from the top down and you can end up with a very soggy bunch of soil in the bottom pot.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM

glad you brought up the watering thing. I was going to put a bottle in each.  and let them soak up what they want.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Cherry tomatoes vine out, so I'd put those in one of the top containers big enough to hold their roots without being too rootbound, and let them cascade down.  Chives grow tall...put those in one of the lower containers, but not in front because they would block the view of the pots.  Basil is a pretty bright green ornamental plant and they only get as tall as you let them....they can go pretty much anywhere.  Get a dwarf parsley variety and plant that in any pot.  Dill is another that is fragrant and pretty...but it's tall so I'd plant in the bottom pot along the side.  I never had luck with oregano so I can't help you there.  Cilantro is a pretty herb plant, and I think you can keep it trimmed, so that one could go in just about any pot.  Spinach can get tall, but you may be able to find a dwarf variety.  How about some oakleaf (red and green) salad greens?  or arugula?  Dwarf carrots would look pretty in there, too!

I'd go as tall with the pots as could be supported.  In other words, I would want a stake through the middle of each pot from the very top pot through to the bottom.  Remember, too, that watering can be a little tricky because the water will soak from the top down and you can end up with a very soggy bunch of soil in the bottom pot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)