Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

best place to get healthy seeds?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 176 Total Views
Hey ladies! Where is a good place or company to get seeds that are organic? I saw a post and another mom said you ladies know where to get seeds that have not been effected by Monsanto? I really appreciate any help!

Ps.. how early should I start germinating them? Feb, March? Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM

This forum http://www.cafemom.com/group/41419/forums/205482/Organic_and_or_non_GM_gardening has posts that answer your questions.

I buy mine from heirloomacresseeds.com.  The seeds are non-GMO.

Welcome to the froup!

opinionatedmom
by head gardener on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

when to start germination depends on where you live

JacksMom1221
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I live in Louisville, Ky. It doesn't get and stay warm until April, with some warm days in March. So I was thinking if I start February 1st ish then by April they will be good and strong and ready to go in the ground?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by head gardener on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I live in okla. I am going to start most of my seeds around valentines day. I have my echinecia and basil started now. I am going to start hardening off within the next week on my echenecia. after I get my others started within a week of germination I will start hardening those off. I will harden off for 10 days then probably just move to a bigger container till it gets a bit warmer. then plant after april 1st. in case of frost I will use a milk container or a 2 liter bottle cut in half for frost protection.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

I live in Louisville, Ky. It doesn't get and stay warm until April, with some warm days in March. So I was thinking if I start February 1st ish then by April they will be good and strong and ready to go in the ground?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

JacksMom1221
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Another stupid question: my back yard is really shady due to a huge tree. So this year, since I've had bad luck the last 2 yrs, I was going to just plant some things in big planter buckets and move them around so they stay in the sun. Will a milk jug be just as good?

Sorry to keep bugging you with all these questions! I appreciate your time and answers!!

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I live in okla. I am going to start most of my seeds around valentines day. I have my echinecia and basil started now. I am going to start hardening off within the next week on my echenecia. after I get my others started within a week of germination I will start hardening those off. I will harden off for 10 days then probably just move to a bigger container till it gets a bit warmer. then plant after april 1st. in case of frost I will use a milk container or a 2 liter bottle cut in half for frost protection.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by head gardener on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM

depends on what you are planting. your lettuce, cabbage and such do alright in the shade. they need some shade or they go bad.  milk jug will work great for carrots, radishes, lettuce, use paint buckets for tomaotes. the 5 gallon ones. you can also order container sized veggies. I think I ordered them from park seed. what went wrong the last 2 yrs.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Another stupid question: my back yard is really shady due to a huge tree. So this year, since I've had bad luck the last 2 yrs, I was going to just plant some things in big planter buckets and move them around so they stay in the sun. Will a milk jug be just as good?

Sorry to keep bugging you with all these questions! I appreciate your time and answers!!

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

JacksMom1221
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Bad weather, squirrels, and too much shade last year. Lots of rain and little sun killed the little sprouts, well what was left after the squirrels got done eating them! The year before, too much shade and a rowdy dog. There's a huge catalpa tree in our backyard that leaves limited, patchy sunlight. So, I figured if I could just move planters around the yard for maximum sunlight, and up on the deck, then maybe I could get a better yield. So, maybe the lettuce, some melons, some strawberries in the ground, and some peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and squash in the planters? Maybe some blackberry vines to grow up the fence?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

depends on what you are planting. your lettuce, cabbage and such do alright in the shade. they need some shade or they go bad.  milk jug will work great for carrots, radishes, lettuce, use paint buckets for tomaotes. the 5 gallon ones. you can also order container sized veggies. I think I ordered them from park seed. what went wrong the last 2 yrs.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by head gardener on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:01 AM

squirrel beater tonic

2tbs cayanne pepper

2 tbs tabasco

2 tbs chili p owder

1tbs murpheys oil soap

1 qt warm water

also put chicken wire around your plants.

as for dogs they dont like the smell of bananas. put banana peels where you want him to stay out of. 

dog b gone tonic.

2 cloves garlic

2 small onions

1 jalepeno pepper

1 tbs cayanne pepper

1 tbs tabasco sauce

1 tbs chili powder

1 tbs liquid dish soap

1 qt warm water.

bad weather got mine too. lettuce, and strawberries can be container planted. if you have a fence use these tonics and trellis your melons, tomatoes, cukes and squash up the fence. go with the chicken wire and the tonics. especially if the fence gets plenty of sun. the way I  am going to do mine up my fence is this way. start the seeds in the seed starters. when ready to transplant I will cut a 2 liter bottle 1/3 way down. turn the top upside down and put a coffee filter in it. transplant into this. fill the bottom 2/3 with water and sit the top in it.

when it outgrows that you transfer into the bottom part of the bottle. add more dirt yada yada yada. when it is planting season I am going to dig a hole and cut the bottom off of the bottle and put it in the hole.  this will keep it from getting weedeated down.

now for weed control I am going to put newpaper down and wet it. put weed barrier over that. and then mulch. after I plant the bottles I am going to sprinkle salt around them to kill the grass and keep it from creeping inside the bottle.  eat lots of bananas and use the peels. it makes great dog control and great fertilizer also.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Bad weather, squirrels, and too much shade last year. Lots of rain and little sun killed the little sprouts, well what was left after the squirrels got done eating them! The year before, too much shade and a rowdy dog. There's a huge catalpa tree in our backyard that leaves limited, patchy sunlight. So, I figured if I could just move planters around the yard for maximum sunlight, and up on the deck, then maybe I could get a better yield. So, maybe the lettuce, some melons, some strawberries in the ground, and some peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and squash in the planters? Maybe some blackberry vines to grow up the fence?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

JacksMom1221
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM
You, mam, are awesome!! Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going to do them! I really want to grow my own food and have been so discouraged. I hope this year it works! I'll post pics if it does! Lol

Quoting opinionatedmom:

squirrel beater tonic

2tbs cayanne pepper

2 tbs tabasco

2 tbs chili p owder

1tbs murpheys oil soap

1 qt warm water

also put chicken wire around your plants.

as for dogs they dont like the smell of bananas. put banana peels where you want him to stay out of. 

dog b gone tonic.

2 cloves garlic

2 small onions

1 jalepeno pepper

1 tbs cayanne pepper

1 tbs tabasco sauce

1 tbs chili powder

1 tbs liquid dish soap

1 qt warm water.

bad weather got mine too. lettuce, and strawberries can be container planted. if you have a fence use these tonics and trellis your melons, tomatoes, cukes and squash up the fence. go with the chicken wire and the tonics. especially if the fence gets plenty of sun. the way I  am going to do mine up my fence is this way. start the seeds in the seed starters. when ready to transplant I will cut a 2 liter bottle 1/3 way down. turn the top upside down and put a coffee filter in it. transplant into this. fill the bottom 2/3 with water and sit the top in it.

when it outgrows that you transfer into the bottom part of the bottle. add more dirt yada yada yada. when it is planting season I am going to dig a hole and cut the bottom off of the bottle and put it in the hole.  this will keep it from getting weedeated down.

now for weed control I am going to put newpaper down and wet it. put weed barrier over that. and then mulch. after I plant the bottles I am going to sprinkle salt around them to kill the grass and keep it from creeping inside the bottle.  eat lots of bananas and use the peels. it makes great dog control and great fertilizer also.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by head gardener on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:07 AM

go buy the book backyard problem solver by jerry baker. this is where most of this info came from. I also am going to have to do the squirrel tonic and the dog tonic. My dog likes to dig. and I noticed in the fall the house has squirrels. hook up to pinterest. what didn't come from the book come from there. type in what you are searching for and it will come up with links for you.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

You, mam, are awesome!! Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going to do them! I really want to grow my own food and have been so discouraged. I hope this year it works! I'll post pics if it does! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)