Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here and need lots of information!!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 127 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I am wanting to start a garden this year. I have made so many changes with the way we eat and have lost 19lbs, with 84 left to go. Now I am wanting to start growing some of our fruit and veggies. However, what are some good fruit and veggies to grow in Florida? What can be grown together? and should be separated? and the most important, where am I to start??? TIA

My girls Easter 2012. Rosalina 8, Maya 4, and Serena 21 months.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Joni80!  Welcome to the group!

A good garden starts with good soil.  You should start by getting your soil tested for where  you want to put your garden.  You can find a place to get this done by asking at your local feed & seed store, a garden center or nursery, or your local Cooperative Extension office.  They'll check for trace elements, the necessary nitrogen/phosphorus/potassium, the pH level, etc.  Then you will know what you need to add to build your soil, if anything. They should also be able to answer questions about what grows good in Florida and when.

Check out the tips forum for planting guides.  There are posts about companion planting and what shouldn't be planted together. 

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

all of your fruit trees should grow good. but 2-3 yrs to bear fruit. watermelon and canteloupe strawberries and blueberries should be good. all of your veggies should do good and if you are in florida start your seeds now and transplant when your last frost date passes which should be here pretty quick. you should be good to go on almost anything now.

MissyLucas
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Start small. Don't do to much to quick. It is very easy to get overwhelmed with how many options are out there.

I started with Cucumber and Tomatoes 5years ago and have grown like crazy since then. I would say find one that you want to do this year, do a little research on that plant and how it grows in your area. Again start small.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN