Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freaking Out!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 306 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you feel like a garden is a....

Options:

Way to make you eat better

Way of life

Fun!

D all of the above

Waste of time

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

I have to say that I am freaking out but yet super excited. We are already planning our garden out. We have so many plans for the space that we have. This will be the largest garden that I have ever done or seen. I need some opinions though.

In you experience have you ever grown something that shouldn't be grown together?

EX:- Last year we put cucumbers squash way to close together and the cucumbers took over the squash.

or

EX:- We found out that if you give cucumber something to grow up and hang off of they produce like 3X more.

I am just looking random information that no one thinks to put in all these websites about growing garden or your grandmother's secrets that you are willing to share. I am the only one that gardens in my family.

falling in loveHappy Valentines Day

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I voted that it's a way of life....it's also a way for us to eat healthier and better, it saves us money in the long run, and it can be fun.

One of my favorite tips is to grow basil among tomatoes to keep out those ugly green tomato hornworms.  I've done this for 3 or 4 yrs now and have had no hornworms...at all!

MissyLucas
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I should have said all of those in one answer... I love gardening

That is a good tip about the tomatoes thank you I never knew that. What I do with my tomatoes is put them in between the Strawberries and peppers. It changes the flavor of the tomatoes. They are so good really sweet with a hint of spice.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I voted that it's a way of life....it's also a way for us to eat healthier and better, it saves us money in the long run, and it can be fun.

One of my favorite tips is to grow basil among tomatoes to keep out those ugly green tomato hornworms.  I've done this for 3 or 4 yrs now and have had no hornworms...at all!

Ell564
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM

To me it is fun and a way of life.  I love to see my food grow and know it is because of me.  I love to eat things that I have grown.  I also love to show people my garden.  If I have company it is not unusual for me to say would you like to see my garden.  I love to show people.  I also love to have people over for dinner and feed them things from my garden.  I enjoy it so much.  

MissyLucas
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:44 AM

There I add a D all of the above.

I was just wondering how long you have been doing a garden and if there is anything that you do that you haven't seen someone else ever doing?

Quoting Ell564:

To me it is fun and a way of life.  I love to see my food grow and know it is because of me.  I love to eat things that I have grown.  I also love to show people my garden.  If I have company it is not unusual for me to say would you like to see my garden.  I love to show people.  I also love to have people over for dinner and feed them things from my garden.  I enjoy it so much.  

Ell564
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I have been gardening for a long time.  My parents had a garden and then I began gardening shortly after being on my own.  Probable about 20 years.  I don't really think I do anything special.  Some things I do is start plants indoor.  Only water when the sun is not high in the sky.  I make sure my plants outdoor get water at least once every two to three days,so I watch the rain.  If it rains I count that as watered that day. So two days until water.  I mix fertilizer in my water at the beginning of each month and put that on the soil.  I guess that's about it.  I look at my garden everyday though and admire it.  LOL, I think the plants enjoy that.

MissyLucas
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I am super nervous we are getting ready to transplant our Blueberry Bushes this weekend. Praying that they live and thrive this year.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

thanks for the squash cuke warning. plant icicle radishes by your squash to prevent squash bugs

Derpy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We are going to start a garden this summer as a family.We got our own place 6 months ago and i`m super excited!

MyVavies
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If you watch this movie called 

"BACK TO EDEN"  http://vimeo.com/28055108

this is how we garden. Very few bugs and very seldom have to water. I watch it every Planting season just to be inspired and get excited about gardening!

Warning.. it  is a Christan video.. even if you are not Christian, It has good tips on Gardening!!!! 

MissyLucas
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM

So my plan tonight was to actually get some sleep and then I get on here and find this video and now it is midnight. It was so good I could not stop watching. I love sharing my garden that is one of the main reason why I do garden so much. You were right it is inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

Quoting MyVavies:

If you watch this movie called 

"BACK TO EDEN"  http://vimeo.com/28055108

this is how we garden. Very few bugs and very seldom have to water. I watch it every Planting season just to be inspired and get excited about gardening!

Warning.. it  is a Christan video.. even if you are not Christian, It has good tips on Gardening!!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN