Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomatoes, Lavender, and possibly Cucumbers

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 101 Total Views

So I went out and bought seeds and the book Organic Gardening for Dummies. I have some small pots to start the seeds indoors with...I think I will have the tomatoes and lavender down, but I am seriously scared of the vine nature of cucmbers (I didn't know when I purchased them, only after I read parts of the above book). Any watering tips? The book said to just keep it damp and sponge like, but how often is that? Daily, weekly, monthly? I am gonna put them to soil today and pray it works.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for Protective Animal League & LAP, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 11 months, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
opinionatedmom
by head gardener on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM

you can poke a hole in a 2 liter lid with a thumb tack and put it in the ground by the cukes and they will water themselves with that bottle.

LavenderMom23
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Just realized I have no idea if I should use the whole package to make one plant or if I need to just put one seed?

Kilhara
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

How small are the containers?  You need one or two seeds to a pellet or dixie cup sized container to begin with.  I have successfully grown cucumbers in a container with a trellis stuck in it, and I did not start the seeds until later in the season.  A lot of herbs are difficult to grow from seeds.  For tomatoes I usually start with 150 seed starts, and get 80 plants to the planting stage, and give away or sell what I don't want.  If I plant 10 of one variety sometimes I get 8 plants and sometimes I get 2, which is why I start with such big numbers.  Also, you want to use seed starting mix not potting soil to begin with for the lavendar and tomatoes.  You need light 12 plus hours per day once they sprout and you need to keep them moist, but also be wary of mold.  I use a shop light, and a small space heater to keep them warm in my basement. Tomatoes germinate between 75-80 degress F. 

LavenderMom23
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

What is a shop light? Could you maybe send me a link to a product?

Quoting Kilhara:

How small are the containers?  You need one or two seeds to a pellet or dixie cup sized container to begin with.  I have successfully grown cucumbers in a container with a trellis stuck in it, and I did not start the seeds until later in the season.  A lot of herbs are difficult to grow from seeds.  For tomatoes I usually start with 150 seed starts, and get 80 plants to the planting stage, and give away or sell what I don't want.  If I plant 10 of one variety sometimes I get 8 plants and sometimes I get 2, which is why I start with such big numbers.  Also, you want to use seed starting mix not potting soil to begin with for the lavendar and tomatoes.  You need light 12 plus hours per day once they sprout and you need to keep them moist, but also be wary of mold.  I use a shop light, and a small space heater to keep them warm in my basement. Tomatoes germinate between 75-80 degress F. 

Kilhara
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Any florescent light available at Home Depot or Lowes should work.  The ones that I call "shop lights" are long and the bulb is one of the wider rather than super narrow ones.  The recommendation is to have the light about 6 inches above the plants.  We have ours on a chain, so we can adjust the height as the plants grow, but I do not think you have to be that fancy.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

What is a shop light? Could you maybe send me a link to a product?

Quoting Kilhara:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)