Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

container gardening... soil question.. update pics pg 2 updated pics pg4:) update pg6/7

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 84 Replies
  • 1168 Total Views

BRAND NEW to the group and gardening..

I have one plant.. A tomato plant, my mom gave it to me about a month ago.. so far.. it's alive and starting to grow it's 1st tomatos! I'm not sure what soil she used.

ANYHOW... I'm going to be getting some carrot seeds and peppers and of course, containers since we rent and the landlord is not ok with the idea of a garden :-/

I have not one clue what soil I should be looking for, I've read some great things and some rotten things about every stinking soil.. this in mind I can't afford to spend a ton on soil. Reading all of the different websites has simply put me at a confused hot mess!

Long story short what do you all use/recommend and why? Pros? Cons?

I'd love to talk into lowes/homedepo/walmart and not feel like a fish outta water ;)

Thank you in advance!! from the newbie! ^_^

update: here incase the comment is missed :)

Thanks for some replies Forgot to post a mini update, Got some MG on sale and compost mix from a family friend. I got on here to update last night walked away from the computer sat down and fell asleep :P

Anyhow After going to a Upick strawberry place(omg yummy)  mixed up the soil, got little containers (had some TINY TINY containers in the kitchen so I took them straight from there) perfect size for growing a little seed!  Potted them -4 cucumbers, 8 peppers(don't ask. I was tired lol).

So they're sitting outside for the heat, I have them covered with seran wrap to keep the moisture--o and yes i did put some water in the mix to get it moist- at night when it's in the 50-70's I'm taking them inside since it's warmer. Sticking them back out in the mornings :) I'll try to post pics ^_^ Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to opdate and post some pics! page 4 :)

5/2-updating pics again :) pg6 and 7 :)

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I'm in the same boat..not sure how to start but I wanna!!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I use a mix of garden soil and Miracle Gro potting soil with compost/humus mixed in. You can buy all of those in bags.
LoveOfSign
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

lol well glad you commented, I was hoping someone else might get help from my confusion post ;) and nice to know I'm not the only one at a bit of a loss for what to use ;)

Quoting starlight1968:

I'm in the same boat..not sure how to start but I wanna!!

LoveOfSign
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I'm going to tab over and check prices but how much did that run you roughly? and I'm assuming you mixed it 1/4th of each?(sorry 100% new to this lol)

Quoting michiganmom116:

I use a mix of garden soil and Miracle Gro potting soil with compost/humus mixed in. You can buy all of those in bags.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM

MG potting soil was on sale for $8, the garden soil was $4 or so, and the compost/humus mix was $5 or $6.  I mixed 1 bag of each together.

Quoting LoveOfSign:

I'm going to tab over and check prices but how much did that run you roughly? and I'm assuming you mixed it 1/4th of each?(sorry 100% new to this lol)

Quoting michiganmom116:

LoveOfSign
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Awesome thanks so much! :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

MG potting soil was on sale for $8, the garden soil was $4 or so, and the compost/humus mix was $5 or $6.  I mixed 1 bag of each together.

Quoting LoveOfSign:

Quoting michiganmom116:

t_creanskisa
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

go to a nursey/pant selling place and ask for their garden soil mix.. its top soil and  compost mix and is usauly cheaper then the bagged stuff

duets
by asst. gardener on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:31 AM

I use Miracle Grow, mixed w/compost & garden dirt.  I usually catch the special sale prices @ the Garden shops, & of course Walmart too.  Happy Gardening!!

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:50 AM

potting soil is where I would start. I don't feel organic is necessary. and for containers 2 liter bottles and milk jugs.

LoveOfSign
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Thanks for some replies Forgot to post a mini update, Got some MG on sale and compost mix from a family friend. I got on here to update last night walked away from the computer sat down and fell asleep :P

Anyhow After going to a Upick strawberry place(omg yummy)  mixed up the soil, got little containers (had some TINY TINY containers in the kitchen so I took them straight from there) perfect size for growing a little seed!  Potted them -4 cucumbers, 8 peppers(don't ask. I was tired lol).

So they're sitting outside for the heat, I have them covered with seran wrap to keep the moisture--o and yes i did put some water in the mix to get it moist- at night when it's in the 50-70's I'm taking them inside since it's warmer. Sticking them back out in the mornings :) I'll try to post pics ^_^ Thanks everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN