Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2013 SEED SWAP

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:17 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 327 Total Views

This post will be for a seed swap.  You can post any seeds you have that you are willing to swap or any that you are looking for and other members can contact you through the CM messages system.

There will be some rules, though:

Seed SWAP means you don't charge money for the seeds.  You SWAP them or you can choose to give them to the other person.  That is between the two of you and I'd prefer that you don't discuss it in this post.  I see no problem with asking for a self-addressed stamped envelope or for postage, though. 

When listing your seeds to swap, please list variety if you know it, approximately how many seeds you have available, and the year they were packaged.  REMEMBER:  the older the seeds, the lower the germination rate might be.  There will be no guarantees.

If listing seeds you want, you can specify variety, heirloom, etc.

If you are swapping seeds you've saved, they must be hand picked and air dried.

Do NOT list seeds from hybrid plants that you collected personally, only the commercially packaged seeds for a hybrid variety can be swapped.  Please list whether the seeds are hybrid, too.

As you swap the seeds, please cross them off your listing or remove them when you send them out.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I have a few Minnesota Midget cantaloupe seeds.  I saved them from last year's melons and so far I've had 100% germination with what I've started.  I'll swap 10 seeds at a time.

PrincessinAZ76
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Oooo... I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but I won't be back in the states until next week! I can't bring any of my seeds home. Apparently Customs isn't a fan of imports. :-( I'll post a list of my moms seed in a few days! LOL!

LoveOfSign
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I have heirloom everglades tomato seeds, I have roughly 35 or so, 10 per person. Just air dried today.

This is my 1st time saving seeds, while I'm confident that I saved/stored them properly I'd like to just give these away to those that would like them. :)

ETA: bushy tomato plant-small 'cherry' sized tomatos :) if you cage them.. do it early on.. mine is all over.. lesson learned -very fun either way :P lol

Rhonda142
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I have some yellow watermellon seeds ..and I have purple butterfly pea vine these are great for a trelace or a hanging basket you want to have overflow. Both have germinated great for me in the past. I have enough for 10 seeds per person both picked last year.  I am looking for lemon balm and Lovage or Valerian.

drivenleonian
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I'm new to this group and haven't had much success. Any ideas for growing in Vegas. My yard faces East and I'm surrounded by 2 story homes. Most of the yard gets sun for 1/2 the day. I have a rose bed, star jasmine and a planter on my patio where I planted herbs and strawberries.
I'd like to grow watermelon between the roses and star jasmine as well as a salsa garden (tomatoes, onions, jalapeƱos and more cilantro) in a 2ft high by 4ft around metal container.
Any advice is welcome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
drivenleonian
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Do the purple butterfly pea vines grow in 50-60% sun and on a porch? I live in Vegas. Will the hold up in the heat?
I've grown up around gardens, but a brain injury has caused me to forget what will grow here, other than the basics,

Quoting Rhonda142:

I have some yellow watermellon seeds ..and I have purple butterfly pea vine these are great for a trelace or a hanging basket you want to have overflow. Both have germinated great for me in the past. I have enough for 10 seeds per person both picked last year.  I am looking for lemon balm and Lovage or Valerian.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessinAZ76
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I'm a desert rat too, though we just moved home from overseas. I've found I can grow quite a bit with selfwatering containers (watered every morning, afternoon if needed) and shade/window screening overhead for those with the tendency to burn. It sounds like your yard is perfect for your salsa garden.I just hope you're getting six hours at least. Heres a little something on desert tomatoes.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomatoes-for-hot-dry-climates.html

Watermelon actually grows really well in the sandy desert, but you need lots of space. I've seen people grow them vertically, using a sling for support when they start sagging, but I've never tried this. 

Good luck! The desert is an interesting place to garden. You never know what you get!

Quoting drivenleonian:

I'm new to this group and haven't had much success. Any ideas for growing in Vegas. My yard faces East and I'm surrounded by 2 story homes. Most of the yard gets sun for 1/2 the day. I have a rose bed, star jasmine and a planter on my patio where I planted herbs and strawberries.
I'd like to grow watermelon between the roses and star jasmine as well as a salsa garden (tomatoes, onions, jalapeƱos and more cilantro) in a 2ft high by 4ft around metal container.
Any advice is welcome.

PrincessinAZ76
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I've always wanted to try growing Amaranth. If you think theyll grow in a container (I don't know what they've done to this yard) and in the desert, I'd love to try them. I couldn't bring any seed home from Germany, but I'm headed out this weekend to shop for new organic seed. Is there anything in particular you want in return? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have a packet of Amaranth...Marvel Bronze.  Approx. 200 seeds.  They are heirloom organic seeds that I received as a bonus in a seed order today.  Anyone want them?

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Sorry, they were spoken for last night.

Quoting PrincessinAZ76:

I've always wanted to try growing Amaranth. If you think theyll grow in a container (I don't know what they've done to this yard) and in the desert, I'd love to try them. I couldn't bring any seed home from Germany, but I'm headed out this weekend to shop for new organic seed. Is there anything in particular you want in return? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have a packet of Amaranth...Marvel Bronze.  Approx. 200 seeds.  They are heirloom organic seeds that I received as a bonus in a seed order today.  Anyone want them?

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)