Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO disappointed!!! :-(

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 230 Total Views
So as I've said before, I'm doing a square foot garden this year. I'm using Mel's Mix as my soil, which is a third mixed compost, a third vermiculite, and a third peat. My compost was a wide variety of mushroom, hen, worm, and cow. We got it all mixed up and it seemed amazing.

Two weeks later, one single piece of corn has sprouted. My strawberry plants have all died. :-( I went out and tried to look around for the radishes, and all I found were mushy seeds that fell apart. I found a pepper seed with absolutely no germination whatsoever.

I live in Florida, my garden is in full sun per the book, and I water every day. What in the world did I do wrong??

We sprouted some radish seeds in a ziploc bag for the kids to watch and they are huge, but nothing in my garden is working. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

How much water do you put on the beds? 

Do birds have access to the beds (I ask only because some birds LOVE to dig corn seed out and eat it.)

Peppers can take quite a while to germinate, although 2 weeks with no germination whatsoever is puzzling.

I don't live anywhere NEAR Florida, so I don't have a lot of insight...sorry.

CMcLaws
by Carrie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Not too much water. I have a light rain setting I use, and I have a device that shows how moist it is deep in the soil, so I think I'm good there.

And yes, birds have access to the garden, but the corn seeds are still there, just no germination. :-( I am so puzzled....I don't know where to go from here.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Do birds have access to the beds (I ask only because some birds LOVE to dig corn seed out and eat it.)

Peppers can take quite a while to germinate, although 2 weeks with no germination whatsoever is puzzling.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That IS odd!  I've had a couple of years that not a single green bean sprouted and I know I've had to replant things like corn and peas, but to have a whole garden do that....very puzzling.

I wonder if you can contact Mel through his website.

Quoting CMcLaws:

Not too much water. I have a light rain setting I use, and I have a device that shows how moist it is deep in the soil, so I think I'm good there.

And yes, birds have access to the garden, but the corn seeds are still there, just no germination. :-( I am so puzzled....I don't know where to go from here.

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Were your seeds new this year?

CMcLaws
by Carrie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Yes, and they're 99% guaranteed to grow. I know the seeds are fine, I've sprouted two radishes and some cucumber and peas in a plastic bag. They just won't grow in the dirt. :-(

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Find books by jerry baker and check acid levels of soil. I am starting mine on trayo transfering to2. Liter bottles and then to garden. I use the bottles to create root development. Also give them Epson salt. Are you hardening off. Jusr cause seeds didn't sprout yet doesn't mean squat. Mine that didn't bloom last year are this year.if you got a freeze that may have effected them.

Quoting CMcLaws:

Yes, and they're 99% guaranteed to grow. I know the seeds are fine, I've sprouted two radishes and some cucumber and peas in a plastic bag. They just won't grow in the dirt. :-(

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Off topic increase font size please. I need new glasses and trying to read on smart phone thanks.

Quoting michiganmom116:

crzemom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
It took 4 weeks for my bell peppers to sprout hope they sprout soon =)
deadlights86
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I started my peppers inside 2 weeks ago and haven't seen anything but if I don't plant my peas soon I'm going to need a trellis for my starter tray lol.
moroccanmommy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Im in fl we had a cold snap two weeks ago..maybe to cold then
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)