Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cucumbers

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 146 Total Views

I am new to gardening and was wondering what you do for cucumbers as far as letting them climb? They are growing in peat pots now and I need to transfer them to my garden. I have read that you really need some kind of fence or trellis for them so I am trying to figure out what to get and how closely to plant the cucumbers next to it. 

by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I've always let my cucumbers grow along the ground, but I have plenty of space for it.  They'll climb chain link (dog) fence, cattle fencing, or something similarly sturdy.

kt674
by Kari on May. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

That's good to know that they can grow on the ground if you have enough space...unfortunately my garden is rather small right now so it sounds like I will be better off with some kind of wire fencing for them to climb. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've always let my cucumbers grow along the ground, but I have plenty of space for it.  They'll climb chain link (dog) fence, cattle fencing, or something similarly sturdy.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on May. 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Plant sunflowers right next to them.
kt674
by Kari on May. 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Great idea! Thank you!

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Plant sunflowers right next to them.

caseyloo
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kt674:

I am new to gardening and was wondering what you do for cucumbers as far as letting them climb? They are growing in peat pots now and I need to transfer them to my garden. I have read that you really need some kind of fence or trellis for them so I am trying to figure out what to get and how closely to plant the cucumbers next to it. 

I tie mine to the trellis when they get big enough.  It also helps the cucumbers grow larger than when I leave them on the ground.  Plus My space is limited too, so it helps me to be able to plant more.

t_creanskisa
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

random sticks? lol

caseyloo
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting t_creanskisa:

random sticks? lol

I used tall stakes last year and it worked pretty well.

SlapItHigh
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I've tried a bunch of different things and its all worked. I think you could use about anything upright.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)