Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's going on with my plants?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 139 Total Views
ok so a little while ago i bought some tomato and pepper plants from a lady i know. 3 of each in total. They are in small containers and they aren't doing well. They are properly watered and in the sun... but they are droopy and looking sickly.... what is going on? I've staked them in the pots for now.. and that isn't helping at all. My garden has been put on hold becuase I'm a few weeks away from having my 4th child and it's too much heavy work for me to be doing at this late in the game... my husband has gone back to work as well and usually works 10-12 hours a day. I have no one to help me with the garden at all and it needs tilling... We are just coming into the gardening season here. Should i transplant? help?

Candice - Mom to  Miss K, Miss E and Little Mr. M! We are Canadian!

Working on baby #4!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I strongly suspect they're root-bound.  You need to transplant them into bigger containers if not the ground.

With the tomatoes, plant them DEEP, until the dirt is just under their lowest set of leaves.  The more stem that is buried, the bigger the root system will develop because tomatoes WILL grow roots from buried stems.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM

i figured as much.. well it's a nice day.. i might just dig some holes for them and plant them. I really don't have any bigger pots to put them in. The garden is sorely lacking right now. but i honestly can not be doing such hard work right now. it's not good for baby. Holes i can dig... but tilling  no way.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

i figured as much.. well it's a nice day.. i might just dig some holes for them and plant them. I really don't have any bigger pots to put them in. The garden is sorely lacking right now. but i honestly can not be doing such hard work right now. it's not good for baby. Holes i can dig... but tilling  no way.

I totally understand....my 3rd baby was born on May 30th and my youngest son was born August 10...I remember being on my hands and knees while planting onions and plants that summer.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

The thing is too... It's a new area we are using to grow the garden on. our old garden area is worn out and needs to rest i think... plus it's mostly clay in that old area.. and I've had a terrible time growing things there the last 2 years. So we moved our garden.. this area has never been used as a veggie garden before... so there is alot of work to be done. WE've spread old manuer on it.. and were waiting for the weather to get nicer before tilling and such... well now i have no one to help me do the heavy work!!!

I think i might get the kids out to help me today though... after lunch.

MyIslandGirls
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

So i literally could NOT dig a hole  this morning.. lol I went down to the garden area and tried.. but the ground is soo fricken HARD that i just couldn't get more than a few inches into the dirt.  So I found some pots and transplanted the tomatos and peppers to those until Hubby can till for me.  I think the garden area needs a GOOD soaking too.. to help break up the dirt. 

It was soo silly... trying to dig a darn hole!!! I didn't want to hurt myself so i just stopped.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

So i literally could NOT dig a hole  this morning.. lol I went down to the garden area and tried.. but the ground is soo fricken HARD that i just couldn't get more than a few inches into the dirt.  So I found some pots and transplanted the tomatos and peppers to those until Hubby can till for me.  I think the garden area needs a GOOD soaking too.. to help break up the dirt. 

It was soo silly... trying to dig a darn hole!!! I didn't want to hurt myself so i just stopped.

I hate hard dirt!  In 2005 we had to have a new septic system put in, and the garden is between that and the access road.  The heavy equipment went over and over and over our garden.  Since then we've had poor gardens for the most part.  I started double digging the garden beds this week and I get down just a few inches before I hit the hard packed earth.  I BENT A PICKAX trying to get it loosened!  I didn't want to use a tiller this year, but I finally got my Mantis out to break up that hard dirt.  It's still hard work.

Take it easy, Candice!  We want a healthy baby and mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)