Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips to a total newbie.

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 197 Total Views
Wanting some tips on this whole gardening thing lol and maybe some of u pros can tell me what this is, if its the actual product coming out already lol. Hubby and I planted lettuce, cilantro, and tomatoes on Saturday and honestly it was more for fun and to see if we could actually grow something, but now that I'm seeing little plants or whatever they are makes me a but excited lol. I'll post pics in replies.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
curlz333
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Gah... wont let me upload pics :( basically I just wanted for y'all to let me know if it was lettuce and the tomatoes growing already, they all sprouted some litlittle plants and wanted yall ti let me know if it was for sure or not just cuz I cant tell if it should be some grass growing again in the area or the actual plant starting to grow. The tomatoe one for sure looks different than the lettuce one but the lettuce one looks kinna the same as some grass growing around again in other parts just makes me debate since the plant is sprouting right where it was planted so yeah makes me excited to think something is going on just after 4 days :)
curlz333
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Mobile Photo

curlz333
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Mobile Photo

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Congrats!  You've got tomatoes and lettuce!  YAY!!!!!!!!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

You'll have to thin the tomatoes when they're a few inches high to one every 12 to 18 inches, and thin the lettuce to one every 4 inches or so.  Otherwise they'll crowd out each other and won't thrive.

curlz333
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM
really? yay how exciting :) I was trying to upload the o the other pic but wont let me cuz there's some little plants exactly like the lettuce growing on the other end no where close to the lettuce but close to the grass that had me wondering is it grass or lettuce? any chance the seed could of gotten moved by the rain we had the day they were planted? is that even possible lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

curlz333
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM
what is thin? like seperate each little plant? my husband went over board on the lettuce and added too much seeds they were so small we weren't sure how much he should put lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

You'll have to thin the tomatoes when they're a few inches high to one every 12 to 18 inches, and thin the lettuce to one every 4 inches or so.  Otherwise they'll crowd out each other and won't thrive.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on May. 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Yes that is possible. That is why I have lettuce in my flower bed.

Quoting curlz333:

really? yay how exciting :) I was trying to upload the o the other pic but wont let me cuz there's some little plants exactly like the lettuce growing on the other end no where close to the lettuce but close to the grass that had me wondering is it grass or lettuce? any chance the seed could of gotten moved by the rain we had the day they were planted? is that even possible lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on May. 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes separate each plant

Quoting curlz333:

what is thin? like seperate each little plant? my husband went over board on the lettuce and added too much seeds they were so small we weren't sure how much he should put lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

curlz333
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
ekkk how exciting, thanks for the info yay

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Yes that is possible. That is why I have lettuce in my flower bed.

Quoting curlz333:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)