Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

garden questionables?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 545 Total Views

My peppers seem to only be growing one per plant. One of the peppers seem to have stopped growing, and other peppers have caught up. Not sure what is wrong with it. But hoping that if I pick those, the plants will decide to create more? Not sure what is going on with them.

My tomatoes have about 6-12 per plant, but they are all still green! As for my yellow squash, most of it is not forming. Seems it starts with the blossom and gets the yellow body, then it rots off and doesn't grow. I've got 2 squash growing out of 6 plants! Not sure what to think. All the plants in the garden have grown and such. I been adding organic fertilizer to it all. 

So I'm not sure what is going on. We did have a week of non-stop rain and storms about 2 weeks ago. Last week was a cooler week here. Could those be stalling things, or changing how everything is growing?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Welcome to the group. It has been a really weird year. i have only picked 6 tomatoes and 2 peppers. My first squash croacked. I have 2 doing good. Are you container gardening or planting in the ground? Where are you at? And yes the rain could have a lot to do with it. I think that is why mine are so slow. Not enough sun.
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:00 AM

The weather could be the culprit.  All of that rain could have caused root rot.  The rain and cold keeps the pollinating bugs away. 

whitewinterose
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Thanks ladies. I am ground planting. I had to wait longer to plant this year because we had a frost all the way into May. I'm in upstate NY at the base of the Adirondack Mountains. 

deccaf
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

The non stop rain could have caused over-watering.  As for the tomatoes not turning green, when things dry off, try trimming some leaves.  I know it sounds crazy, but that often prompts the plant to begin ripening the fruit.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I didn't know that

Quoting deccaf:

The non stop rain could have caused over-watering.  As for the tomatoes not turning green, when things dry off, try trimming some leaves.  I know it sounds crazy, but that often prompts the plant to begin ripening the fruit.

MommyofSoso
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM
I have a gazillion tomatoes that seem to just like chilling in the plant nice and green. I have one pepper on each plant. I had several flowers but only one pepper came out of them :( my kale was doing great until I trimmed it and ate it all now I'm waiting for the baby leaves to get bigger.
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I have the exact same thing here, so its not you

Quoting MommyofSoso: I have a gazillion tomatoes that seem to just like chilling in the plant nice and green. I have one pepper on each plant. I had several flowers but only one pepper came out of them :( my kale was doing great until I trimmed it and ate it all now I'm waiting for the baby leaves to get bigger.
MommyofSoso
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Went out this morning and I have several that are starting to turn red! My grape ones look weird though, like they have stretch marks except it's just the coloring not actual marks on the skin, don't know what that's about :/

Quoting opinionatedmom: I have the exact same thing here, so its not you

Quoting MommyofSoso: I have a gazillion tomatoes that seem to just like chilling in the plant nice and green. I have one pepper on each plant. I had several flowers but only one pepper came out of them :( my kale was doing great until I trimmed it and ate it all now I'm waiting for the baby leaves to get bigger.
opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Mine have light spots on the bottom, I have some that are getting the cracks fromiinconsistent watering but it has rained almost everyday to every 2 days here. The last week it has been ungodly hot and they are getting watered at least every other day. And they are drying out to much inbetween. It seems like there just hasn't been enough sun to ripen them. I have only got 2 peppers. I'm getting okra one every 3 days if I'm lucky. I have tons of flowers.

Quoting MommyofSoso: Went out this morning and I have several that are starting to turn red! My grape ones look weird though, like they have stretch marks except it's just the coloring not actual marks on the skin, don't know what that's about :/

MommyofSoso
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM
This summer just hasn't been ideal for growing. I'm hoping next summer is better, I have a lot planned for next summer, most are going to be containers on my porch. I'm in the process of collecting containers of all sizes right now.

Quoting opinionatedmom: Mine have light spots on the bottom, I have some that are getting the cracks fromiinconsistent watering but it has rained almost everyday to every 2 days here. The last week it has been ungodly hot and they are getting watered at least every other day. And they are drying out to much inbetween. It seems like there just hasn't been enough sun to ripen them. I have only got 2 peppers. I'm getting okra one every 3 days if I'm lucky. I have tons of flowers.

Quoting MommyofSoso: Went out this morning and I have several that are starting to turn red! My grape ones look weird though, like they have stretch marks except it's just the coloring not actual marks on the skin, don't know what that's about :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)