Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, I'm new!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

Mobile Photo

Hi. I'm new.
I'm 33 and live in Saskatchewan, Canada.
I'm moving to a farm in the spring of 2015 and would like to start my very first garden. My problem is weeds.
They are the ones in the picture. They are thick and tall.
How on earth do I get rid of them and how do I make the soil good for planting. I think where I am is Zone 2b. Zone 3 if we're having a nice summer.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Hi, and welcome to the group!

Those are weeds that would be best dug, I would think, unless you want to use chemicals on them.  Another option would be raised beds.

OrientalLily
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM
My initial thought was to mow them down, the take our bobcat in and strip the top layer of soil off. The problem with us being in the farm is not being able to get good quality top soil from the city.

My other half wants to either use chemicals, like you suggested but I want to try and keep this garden as organic as possible.
Or, he wants to disc them into the dirt, which I really don't want to do that either.

So, I'm looking for other options that I may not be thinking of. However, it seems my choices are quiet limited :/

Quoting michiganmom116:

Those are weeds that would be best dug, I would think, unless you want to use chemicals on them.  Another option would be raised beds.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Well, there is a more labor intensive method.....

Mow/cut the weeds, rake them out and dispose of them.  Till once to get the roots brought out, and take a garden rake to the soil to get them out of the ground as much as possible.  Compost on that garden:  manure, wood ashes, wood shavings, kitchen scraps, shredded newspaper.  In the spring, till the compost into the soil and plant.

Quoting OrientalLily: My initial thought was to mow them down, the take our bobcat in and strip the top layer of soil off. The problem with us being in the farm is not being able to get good quality top soil from the city. My other half wants to either use chemicals, like you suggested but I want to try and keep this garden as organic as possible. Or, he wants to disc them into the dirt, which I really don't want to do that either. So, I'm looking for other options that I may not be thinking of. However, it seems my choices are quiet limited :/
Quoting michiganmom116:

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Dec. 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM

welcome to the group. I agree with michiganmom. I would dig up the first foot of soil because weeds are  nightmare to get rid of. and then add compost to it. you can collect items needed from neighbors, resturants can get you veggies only mixed with paper. wood shops for saw dust. farms for manure. it wont take long to refill it actually I don't think. that way the soil is good it wil compost out by spring I think. leaves are great volunteer to pick up bags of leaves.  it wont be easy but that is what I would do.

OrientalLily
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Hi, thanks!

We actually measured it today and it's 100' X 200', so it'll be really time consuming and expensive to refill. We've decided to cut the weeds down and then do a controlled burn. Then add some manure and rotor till it.
We have cattle on our farm, so I have lots of manure!! Lol

Quoting opinionatedmom:

welcome to the group. I agree with michiganmom. I would dig up the first foot of soil because weeds are  nightmare to get rid of. and then add compost to it. you can collect items needed from neighbors, resturants can get you veggies only mixed with paper. wood shops for saw dust. farms for manure. it wont take long to refill it actually I don't think. that way the soil is good it wil compost out by spring I think. leaves are great volunteer to pick up bags of leaves.  it wont be easy but that is what I would do.

opinionatedmom
by Garden co-owner on Dec. 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM

if you use like scraps from resturants and stuff and old newspaper and your manure it wouldn't be to costly.  a burn would work to but keep inmind burning sandburrs makes them worse.

Quoting OrientalLily: Hi, thanks! We actually measured it today and it's 100' X 200', so it'll be really time consuming and expensive to refill. We've decided to cut the weeds down and then do a controlled burn. Then add some manure and rotor till it. We have cattle on our farm, so I have lots of manure!! Lol
Quoting opinionatedmom:

OrientalLily
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, I didn't know about sandburrs. I'm not sure what the weeds are. That would be a good thing to find out in this case. Thanks for that

Quoting opinionatedmom:

if you use like scraps from resturants and stuff and old newspaper and your manure it wouldn't be to costly.  a burn would work to but keep inmind burning sandburrs makes them worse.

Quoting OrientalLily: Hi, thanks! We actually measured it today and it's 100' X 200', so it'll be really time consuming and expensive to refill. We've decided to cut the weeds down and then do a controlled burn. Then add some manure and rotor till it. We have cattle on our farm, so I have lots of manure!! Lol
Quoting opinionatedmom:

duets
by asst. gardener on Dec. 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Welcome to the Group!

gardening

OrientalLily
by on Dec. 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Thanks! I'm looking forward to this growing season 😄

Quoting duets:

Welcome to the Group!

gardening

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)