Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spring Basil

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 94 Total Views

Starting seeds and rooting clippings is my favorite way to garden.  It is less expensive, and you know exactly what variety you will grow.

I like ot buy a single basil plant early in the season and root clippings in water.  A sunny spot is all you need to coax them to make new roots. Transplant into a small pot with seed starting mix and keep moist - by May you have lots of new basil plants for very little cost.

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Azure
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Thanks... how do you do the clippings?

MonarchMom22
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Just snip a piece off a stem, about 2-4" long.  Remove any of the lowest leaves until you just have a cluster at the tip. Put it into water, and keep it in a sunny spot.  It will root all along the stem that is in water.  Then you can transplant into some very light potting mixutre - the type you use to start seeds.  Keep it moist until the roots are used to the soil.  

Once it is consistently warm outside (late May for us) I start to "harden off" the plant by putting it outside in the shade during the day, inside at night.  After a week it can stay outside and then move into a sunny spot.  You need to do this gradually to let it adapt to outside conditions.  

You can do this with basil, tomatoes and geraniums.  The cheapest way to start a lot of plants!

Quoting Azure:

Azure
by Member on Mar. 23, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Quoting MonarchMom22:

Just snip a piece off a stem, about 2-4" long.  Remove any of the lowest leaves until you just have a cluster at the tip. Put it into water, and keep it in a sunny spot.  It will root all along the stem that is in water.  Then you can transplant into some very light potting mixutre - the type you use to start seeds.  Keep it moist until the roots are used to the soil.  

Once it is consistently warm outside (late May for us) I start to "harden off" the plant by putting it outside in the shade during the day, inside at night.  After a week it can stay outside and then move into a sunny spot.  You need to do this gradually to let it adapt to outside conditions.  

You can do this with basil, tomatoes and geraniums.  The cheapest way to start a lot of plants!

Quoting Azure:

Thanks!

clairewait
by Group Owner on Mar. 24, 2017 at 11:36 AM

I kept basil alive all winter and have thought about rooting it this year. It is looking pretty sad right now though, all cold and small and flowery.

Claire Wait

If you are bored, here's my PERSONAL blog: TheUnderToad.com
(I do not make any money on it.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)