Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 5:32 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 70 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Earth Day always brings a ton of good plant sales (and motivation) to get gardens in.

I had a minor surgery about 3 weeks ago, which meant (once again) my husband was in charge of the bulk of the work in our gardens, but we got 3 more beds built, moved some pots around, and I am in the process of getting stuff in.

So far I have:

• blueberries (adding 3)
  • raspberry (adding 1)
  • tomatoes
  • herbs
  • cukes
  • zukes
  • cantaloupe (new this year!)
  • pumpkins (volunteer, as they do every year, from my compost pile, haha)
  • snap peas
  • spinach

Still need to get one cherry tomato and okra, which are perpetually sold out at my favorite nursery.

But then the rain has been unrelenting all weekend, so I'm on pause for getting things in the ground/beds.

by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM

I hear ya on the rain!  We still had huge puddles as of Saturday!

caseyloo
by Member on Apr. 25, 2017 at 7:43 PM

I wish we would get more rain.  Right now we are hand watering, but I need to get our watering system bought and put in.  Pretty soon we are going to start hitting 90_ degrees and then I won't be able to keep up with the watering.

clairewait
by Group Owner on Apr. 25, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Quoting caseyloo:

I wish we would get more rain.  Right now we are hand watering, but I need to get our watering system bought and put in.  Pretty soon we are going to start hitting 90_ degrees and then I won't be able to keep up with the watering.

You should look in to SIP systems. We've been putting them in since last season. They are fantastic. Google it to get some ideas. (Not a lot of great tutorials out there but the pictures are how I figured it out.) You can also look at mine here:

Garden Journal #11: Plants and Plans in April 2016

Azure
by Member on Apr. 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM

I'd love more rain. We got snow last night. Temps are in the 30's this weekend so it looks like our original plan of planting this weekend is out the window.

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 28, 2017 at 11:27 PM

It's rained a lot here too lately, upstate NY.  Today was first day of real sunshine we've had.  Spring flowers are blooming, but haven't began any gardening here since all of my stuff is packed.  We recently moved cross country, fell in the snow 3 times & then fell going down steps onto garage concrete & broke a few bones in my foot.  So I'm healing.  Your planting sounds great, good luck!!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)