• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomato HELP PLEASE??

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

Why cant I GROW TOMATOES!?!?!?!  Im feeling discouraged...already off to a bad start...

I killed off a flat of 100 tomato starts and now I have to start over!

last year I did a ton of starts that all died and ended up buying starts...that never had tomatoes!

Any tomato growing advice would be great!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Are you overwatering them?  Tomatoes like water but if they get too much they'll get moldy.  I preferred to put water in the bottom of their tray and let them soak it up from there.  I use MiracleGro every two weeks on my plants until they blossom.

Are you thinning them to 1 plant per "pot"?  Are they getting enough sunlight?

Are they dying when you transplant?  Tomatoes don't take transplanting too well...when you do transplant, plant them deep enough so that they are as tall as the leaves are wide.  The stem that is planted will develop roots and grow a stronger root system.  Water with MiracleGro, be sure to water close to sundown so that the leaves don't burn.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Are you growing inside or outside?  I killed every one that I started inside....I don't think they got enough light. 

You might try starting outside.  You can make a small hoop house out of PVC pipe and plastic or I've seen a tiny greenhouse made out of tomato cages laid end to end on their side, then covered in plastic.  This is a win/win situation because on sunny days you can take the cover off and cover them up for the night.

That's all I've got!

GOOD LUCK!

Holly429523
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM

SOO....should I start starts outside in the hoop house instead of my house?? I have a hoop house but I have onions and lettuce and spinach growing in it....

I could set a flatof starts in there somewhere though... OR I could have my hubby make me a mini hoop house to stick over a flat or two outside....

hmm.....

would that make them transition easier?

I start them indoors... I have 4 survivors out of over 100 :(

Ive yet to have one make it to the garden...I want to make sure that I have tomato plants this year!!!!

Holly429523
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Are you overwatering them?  Tomatoes like water but if they get too much they'll get moldy.  I preferred to put water in the bottom of their tray and let them soak it up from there.  I use MiracleGro every two weeks on my plants until they blossom.

Are you thinning them to 1 plant per "pot"?  Are they getting enough sunlight?

Are they dying when you transplant?  Tomatoes don't take transplanting too well...when you do transplant, plant them deep enough so that they are as tall as the leaves are wide.  The stem that is planted will develop roots and grow a stronger root system.  Water with MiracleGro, be sure to water close to sundown so that the leaves don't burn.

ok, so I did this.... I have 4 survivors...they seem to be doin ok! now if I can get a few more that big....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)