Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and lost

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 217 Total Views

I am new to gardening. I love veggies and such. Here is my problem I know  NOTHING about gardening and I have a bad yard. I live in South Dakota so we get winter here. Most of our back yard gets really wet then really dry. Please sent me to the right directions. What should I plant  for our state and then the rest of when when were and how. Is there help for me?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:36 PM

www.almanac.com

Register for free and you'll have your local info.  If you click on the gardening tab you'll get a list of when to plant each item.

Since your growing season is pretty short, I would suggest buying plants from a nursery.  Go to one that only sells plants (not a Home Center or superstore) and talk to an employee.  Ask them what grows best in your area. 

Make sure you grow what your family will eat....no point in growing eggplant if no one will eat it!  GOOD LUCK!!!!!

CanadianChelsea
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Seeing you have never gardened before, my suggestion to you would be.....

....start small. 

Nothing worse than someone wanting to get into a new hobby and become over-whelmed.

Tomatoes grow well in containers, so does peppers, lettuce and beans etc.  Why not container garden this year and see how it goes?  Next year you could expand and plant more.

Oh, and be sure to purchase really good, composty soil!!!   Remember the old saying "you are what you eat".  Same goes for growing plants.  Without good, nutrient enriched soil, your poor plants will suffer. 

farmgirl1
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Hi, it is all a little overwhelming when you first start out, I am lucky I grew up always gardening with my parents...so I was always learning.  My Mom always kept reference books, we love to read and got advice from experts that way, every Spring I still go to the library and check out the latest garden books ( seeing all the new advice, new varieties).  Gardening for Dummies is really good for Newbies : )   Some of the easiest things to grow...onions, radishes, spinach, beets, green beans, tomatoes, peas, pumpkins. It takes more space for sweet corn & potatoes, but they are well worth the effort.  I have had a garden every year since I can remember growing up, a garden is such a wonderful hobby, start small and with more confidence each year you will do great, wishing you all the luck : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)