Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did Anyone Know This??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 523 Total Views

Ok so a couple of weeks ago i planted my okra....well it still hasnt sprouted, so i called to talk to my grandma on her birthday on sunday, and she asked me if i sprouted them...i was like uhhh wtf?? And she said to soak the okra seeds in straight bleach for like 3 hours and then plant them...so i was kind of skeptical about it, but tried it anyways...and this is freakin AWESOME!!! Check it out!!

**Forgive me if you already know this, i dont garden lol! Usually i kill everything i plant

This was around 4pm when i first put them in the bleach

And these two were around 530pm when i checked on them...

Ok and this is a little after 7pm

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Cool!  I don't grow okra so I didn't know that.

I do soak my beans and peas before planting them.  It softens the seed coat and they'll sprout faster.

missamanda86
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I've never grown it before, but when i went to OK, my grandpa sent a seed okra pod home with me, so i figured i would try it

Quoting michiganmom116:

Cool!  I don't grow okra so I didn't know that.

I do soak my beans and peas before planting them.  It softens the seed coat and they'll sprout faster.

missamanda86
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM

And it really works...its been almost a month since i did that, and my okra that i sprouted finally came up in the pot (see new post lol) as well as the others that i planted in the ground

jewjewbee
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM

i did know this, pretty much any seed can be sped up with germination by prior soaking. i once had an older man tell me that if you put okra seeds in a bag of sand and shake them for about 10 minutes, it helps germination by making the seed coat thinner and the sprout can sprout easier. soaking is much easier.

LadyMe
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Why bleach? That doesn't sound good at all. Can you just use water?

shawnasie
by on Jul. 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Quoting LadyMe:

I agree! I wouldn't want to soak the seed of something I will grow and eventually eat in bleach. I would think that soaking in water for a couple days would work just as well and that soaking in bleach just makes the process go faster.

Make it a GREAT day!

Shawnasie
WAHM to:
Krysta 12/19/02, Jordan 12/29/04, Landon 8/26/06 & Skyla 9/15/08

missamanda86
by on Jul. 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Idk why bleach, but the water didnt work...i tried it, and the seeds stayed the sme

Quoting shawnasie:

Quoting LadyMe:

I agree! I wouldn't want to soak the seed of something I will grow and eventually eat in bleach. I would think that soaking in water for a couple days would work just as well and that soaking in bleach just makes the process go faster.

Make it a GREAT day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)