Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this cantaloupe?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 513 Total Views

This is my first vegetable garden, and I'm learning as I go.  I planted cantaloupe seeds in one corner of my garden, and two distinctly different plants have come up.  I have several of each.  One looks like the pictures I've seen.  Here it is...

I have no idea what the other one is.  Could it be a different variety?  Or is it a weed, or some mystery plant?  Here it is.

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM

The one in the first pic, with the blossoms, is cantaloupe.  Not sure what the other is.....

sistyugler
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:28 PM

the first one is definitely cantalope the second looks like the common garden variety  Weed!

uggs-lover
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Yup, I'd yank the second one...the first one looks just like my cantaloupe.....

Karin78
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Thanks, everybody.  It's funny- when the seedlings first came up, I almost pulled the real cantaloupe thinking it was a weed.  The other plant seemed so much more unique.  I had it totally backwards.  That just goes to show you how much I have to learn.  :)

Cavemama
by on Jun. 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM

The second one looks kind of like peppers to me...did you plant any peppers?  The first one is def. a melon.

jewjewbee
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

your second photo is an invasive weed.

mnmsmom2008
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Quoting Karin78:

Thanks, everybody.  It's funny- when the seedlings first came up, I almost pulled the real cantaloupe thinking it was a weed.  The other plant seemed so much more unique.  I had it totally backwards.  That just goes to show you how much I have to learn.  :)

It's so much easier your second year in.  We did our first garden last year and this year I knew what I was looking for.  I agree w/everyone else, the flowering one is cantaloupe and the other one is a weed.

cheekycherub
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 9:58 AM

The tall one in the 2nd photo looks like a pepper, everything else around it (minus the cantaloupe) looks like weeds.

Karin78
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I yanked the weeds a couple of weeks ago.  Look at my cantaloupe now!

shawnasie
by on Jul. 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Looks like you will be enjoying the sweet taste of canteloupe in a couple weeks!

I look forward to the day my family buys a house so I can have a big garden. I am renting at the moment and the raised beds here son't offer a huge amount of room.

Make it a GREAT day!

Shawnasie
WAHM to:
Krysta 12/19/02, Jordan 12/29/04, Landon 8/26/06 & Skyla 9/15/08

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)