Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Squash - all bloom, no fruit??

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 985 Total Views

SO, this may have everything to do with it, but I planted my garden late this year with plants I bought from the nursery...being that they went in the ground late, would that explain why I get plenty of blooms but no fruit?  Or is this how squash grow?  This is my 1st garden so I'm learning as I go.....

by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Esther1102
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I am having the same problem! Please let me know if you figure this out!

jewjewbee
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

how late is late? and what kind of squash do you have? zucchini and yellow crookneck squash are spring and summer producers while acorn and butternut squash are late summer to fall producers.

shawnasie
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I had a lot of male flowers for about 2 weeks straight before the female flowers (squash producers) started blooming. Check your plants to see if some flowers-to-be have squash shaped fruits behind them. This should give you an idea of when they will show up. I actually planted my sqush on 6/2 and then transplanted them about 3 weeks later so my squash are all starting to produce now. I got my first squash (very small) almost 2 weeks ago. Have fun! Before you know it you will have more squash than you can handle.

Make it a GREAT day!

Shawnasie
WAHM to:
Krysta 12/19/02, Jordan 12/29/04, Landon 8/26/06 & Skyla 9/15/08

Mom2MonkeyGeese
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM

"late" is mid July in Texas....but we also have a later season b/c it stays warm down here for a while so I didn't figure it'd matter......they are yellow, crook-neck squash.....

I DID do some research and like one of my previous posters, I THINK I've had a bunch of male flowers and soon will have the females pop out......I've been watching my cucumbers and they were doing the same thing...all bloom, no fruit....THEN I noticed the females come up with the little cucs on the ends.....so I'm hoping that it's just a waiting game!

mudgirl
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 4:37 AM

i had some squash in my greenhouse and the flowers didnt turn to fruit because there was no bees to pollinate the flowers. i had to take a q-tip and put it in the male flowers and then in the female flowers then they grew fruit. if you have no bees you will have to do this. 

MommaHutchins
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I'm in south Texas and had my squash seed in the ground in late March, I got two squash off of it before the flowers started dropping due to heat and drought. It was a hot summer here, and flowers won't produce fruit in high heat. Was a bummer of a season, and now my squash has all died back, but it just gave me more room for fall veggies. Good luck for the fall season!

jennifercrista
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM
You can also pollinate yourself, using the male flower on the female flower. Depending on the type (check your seed packet for days to maturity) they do take a very full summer until maturity (most winter squash that is, summer generally produce faster) and female flowers develop after a bunch of male flowers have already been blooming (one to three weeks, i think). If you forgo the q tip method which would work as well, pluck a male flower, strip the petals, and rub the stamen gently around the pistel of the female. I did it for the first time last year (out of impatience as well) and got fruit on every one I hand pollinated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)