Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone growing leaf lettuce? How do you harvest it?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

I have many leaf lettuce plants growing at one time and I harvest it by picking the outer/full grown leaves while letting the inner leaves grow more. I have a friend that harvests the entire bunch at one time so she doesn't have a continual supply. I harvest leaves once a week and fill about 3 gallon bags each time.

How do you harvest yours and why do you do it that way? Just curious!

Make it a GREAT day!

Shawnasie
WAHM to:
Krysta 12/19/02, Jordan 12/29/04, Landon 8/26/06 & Skyla 9/15/08

by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I have romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach and Bibb lettuce and I harvest it both ways!!!

jewjewbee
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

i just planted some for this fall. romain, buttercrunch and simpson, normally i just cut if off at ground level and let it continue to grow back over and over again.

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

First year, first garden. I have some leaf lettuce planted and I plan on only harvesting the outer leaves. I just thinned them this morning and I will figure it out once I see out how many plants I will end up with and how much they will produce. 

BellaH10
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I have a 50 lettuce plants so i also do both ways. I can't keep up with it all.

LavenderChic
by Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I just gather mine leaf by leaf as I need them daily.

elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

We always did it leaf by lef, the plant will continue to grow as long as you keep it well plucked. And most grow very well. For this reason we usually only do a plant or two per person in our family. Like one buttercrunch and one romaine. It can be hard to keep up with otherwise. Spinach I freeze a lot of.

meekone
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I take as needed and at the end of the summer when I have so much I can't eat it....I give it to my neighbors and church. That way I don't have to throw it away. I pull the bottom leaves off and let it continue to grow up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)