Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

covered in poison ivy...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

My back yard is full of lush, beautiful poison ivy, as are my arms and legs in the attempt to get rid of the beast. I have managed to ge rid of  a lot of it, but I need a better solution. I have also found this other vine -like  plant which has three serated leaves and small, red, berry looking fruit.  Anyone know what this is?  Is it another form of poison ivy?

Also, does anyone know of some ways to kill poison ivy aside from round-up?  I've tried boiling water, which works but is very difficult to do without pouring hot water on myself...

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jewjewbee
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:37 AM

roundup and spectracide both make a brush and poison ivy killer. i have found that it does work. if you want to wait until it gets very cold, take a sickel or lawnmower to the brush and cut it down to the ground. in the spring cover it quickly with brush killer before it gets growing.

poison ivy when it grows large enough will produce red berries. sounds like more poison ivy to me.

Cavemama
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I did a little research about the red berried vines--apparently they are "Indian strawberries" and are actually edible, but not too flavorful.  I read that the poison ivy berries would be whitish brown and waxy.  I haven't seen any of that yet.  Hopefully I'll be able to kill the stuff before they produce their evil fruit!

jewjewbee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM

ya learn something new everyday. indian strawberries, gonna check that out. thanks!

jul

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)